Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vaneet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 11:24 PM
    Life of a red wine
    Hi I'm a wine lover and mostly I lyk the red wine.. I want to know what is the life of a normal price(ex:between 10$ to $20) seald bottle wine? I hve a few bottles which are made in 2002 and 2004...
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 27, 2009, 09:19 AM

Love the reds myself. It really depends on the variety of wine. Most Varietal reds should have no problem aging 5 to ten years. Some actually get better with the age. Some do not. I have noticed some of my french reds "turning" quicker than Aussie, American or Italians. Looking at your price, you should be safe in the age of the bottle. You will know once you open and pour if it is bad. Thin, brown and vinegar tones will abound if the wine is bad. Hope this helps, Cheers!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Mostly depends on the amount of tannins that need to "relax". Merlots/Beaujolais and many Pinot Noirs are ready to drink while some of the *heavier* wines such as Barolo, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Saint-Emillion, etc, enjoy some good cellaring at a constant cool temperature.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 05:31 PM
    How about red wines that have been opened? I use left over wine (yeah, I know... what's left over wine? :D) for sauces. I always check, but sometimes it is sitting for a couple months.:confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking wine vs dry red wine [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all: Thank you for reading/responding to this post. I am making what I hope will be a rich, yummy roasted onion soup... the recipe calls for dry red wine... my wife picked up a red cooking wine... will this work, or be too strong? Or should I just go get that dry red wine..? Any help...

Life of wine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bottle of 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon California wine from the Graceland Cellars. Is the wine still good to drink?

Shelf life of wine [ 1 Answers ]

What would be the shelf life of a 1999 Cabernet sauvignon?

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

Red wine shelf life? [ 6 Answers ]

What's a safe estimate for storing unopened red wine if you don't have a wine cellor or cooler? I just keep it in a cool and dark place, but don't want to risk it turning. How long do I have? Janie

View more questions Search