Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ashriel Posts: 52, Reputation: 8

May 26, 2009, 10:23 PM
    Choice between living with boyfriend or with family. What's best for us AND me?
    I'm having such a difficult time making this decision. It's actually causing severe anxiety and depression.
    Basically I'm living with my boyfriend 6 hours away from home, and I love him dearly and we're really happy together. We live in his grandma's house, and it's a really difficult environment with 10 other people living here, a bi-polar father who likes to yell a lot, and gossipy other members of the house.
    I'm trying to decide what the best use of the next 7 months would be for us. He is in school and will graduate in 7 months, and we are planning on moving to Minnesota (home) when he graduates.
    My dilemma is whether I should stay here or go back home for the next 7 months.
    I'm unemployed currently, just got fired from a job, and looking for work. I'm 20. I miss my family and friends a lot, but I can't imagine being long distance with my boyfriend AGAIN (we already were for 5 months before living together).

So what to I do?
    Stay here, deal with the crazy family, get to be near the love of my life? I do worry we are too dependent and wrapped up in each other. I do miss my family, and perhaps it would be smarter for me to be in Minnesota with my family, working hard until January when we can be together.
    Or I should maybe stay here and work hard and get to keep waking up next to my favorite person.
    I guess I worry that the best option for my own self-development would be to move to Minnesota, but I don't want our relationship to suffer. I don't want to get anxiety and panic from being far away from him. I don't want to have to see him only every 3 weeks.
    I just completely don't know what to do, or what I could handle doing.

And after all that, I think to myself "It's only 7 months." Maybe I'm making too much of a big deal out of this.
    My mom thinks I should probably move back home, and focus on me and my success for awhile, rather then on us. But I just worry so much that I wouldn't be able to handle being away from him and that we would get distant from each other emotionally as well as physically.

I would just really appreciate advice, or if anyone has been through something similar?
    :confused:
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2009, 10:31 PM

Well, it seems that you already know what's best for you... your choices are pretty much clear cut: stay there or go home.

And you're right... 7 months is a very short amount of time, and in this short amount of time, you'll be able to go back home, spend time with your family, possibly get another job, work, save some money, break the detachment you have on your boyfriend (some attachment is healthy, but it seems that you also think it's gotten to the point of it being unhealthy), etc.

Also, a little time apart may be good for the two of you. I personally think it's wise to go home and work on "you" for a while and then see him again later on.
    Oneoffew Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

May 27, 2009, 09:25 PM

Do what you think would most happy. You've already shown your devotion to your boyfriend, I think he would understand your situation. You need to be happy dear, that's the basic goal of everyone in life.
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

May 28, 2009, 02:14 AM

Absence makes the heart grow fonder...
    Personally I think you should go back with you family. After all it is only 7 months. How do you think it feels for all the ladies who have to go for a whole year alone while their significant other is in Iraq. If you plan on getting married later on, you will have plenty of time with him. Trust me..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Human? Family living in space, maybe? [ 1 Answers ]

I think it was a human family living in space. This was a kid's movie from the late 80's. I remember a narrow walkway though a void or space. Live action. I think they might have been pretending to be aliens? Could be wrong. I only saw this once back in the 80's. I remember it being very odd.

Choice of Living in NY or NJ [ 1 Answers ]

I have my office in NJ but have a choice to live either in NY or in NJ. Which is a better option from a tax perspective ? Does NY have higher taxes than NJ ?

Family members living overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , My family is currently abroad and I am on the process to submit my application for AOS. How do I proceed to request USCIS to notify the embassy or consulate where my family intends to apply for immigrant visa in case my status has been adjusted as under the DV ( Diversity Visa ) Program my...

Son and family living with me, out of control [ 2 Answers ]

My 28 year old son and his family moved in with me 6 months ago, it was supposed to be for one month. They agreed to pay $125 a week for the 4 of them. Very seldom have I received any rent. They abuse me, they leave my house a mess, they threaten me and my pets. I can not afford to do an eviction...

When I should tell my family about living on-campus [ 6 Answers ]

Next year I would prefer to live on campus, because where I live is far to school, it takes me 1h 30 min to get there. So it limits my opportunities I can take on campus. I am thinking about taking minor (additional classes) and perhaps join some club, don't worry about weather- in Chicagoland it...

View more questions Search