Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aussieplumbing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 09:40 PM
    Why my chicken is losing its feathers
    Just wondering about one of my bantam chickens.She has lost all her underbelly feathers and then some on top of her wing and thenin a circle around her neck like a necklace.The actual quills are still in her in some parts of her body but underneath she is bald and has what looks like one little sore.There are no roosters in the pen and she is not at the bottom end of the pecking order and has never been picked on by the other 5 hens.They have been locked in their pen for a week while it rained and they usually get to come out everyday for a roam around.She seems a bit sluggish and is off her food.I have checked her for mites and ticks.
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

May 27, 2009, 09:16 AM

All I found online was that it could be mites, stress, or the other birds picking at her. It could be a sign of aome other illness. I'd have the vet check her.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 09:31 AM

Turns out there are a lot more possibilities than I thought..
    The site below details all about feather loss, the causes and treatments.

Feather Loss In Pet Birds

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chicken Stock vs. Chicken Broth? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first time asking of you Gentle Folks. I've recently found the advantage to using canned chicken broth to start my chicken soups and other dishes. However, what's the difference between "chicken stock" and "chicken broth"? It has come up because I have a couple of coupons for...

Lost Job - Losing House - Losing Relationship! [ 5 Answers ]

My b/f & I were OK until a year ago when he lost his very lucatrive job. We've used all our savings & we've maxed our cc's to no avail. We're behind on the house we live in in which he's the only one on mtg. this house has no equity. We have another house under both our names in another state...

Losing relationship of 6 years / Losing 2 Houses [ 5 Answers ]

I've been with my b/f for over 6 years. About 2 years ago I moved to another state with him to try to make things work better for us, financially & personal. He lost a very lucrative job about a year ago (the co. closed down) which paid for a house we both are on mtg & he also paid for another...

Iridescent feathers [ 1 Answers ]

Is the phenomenon of the rainbow related in any way to the iridescent colors of some birds' feathers?

View more questions Search