Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LizethSauza Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 05:03 PM
    What can I do for visitation rights as an aunt?
    Hi! My name is Lizeth, I am 21 years old. And I have a 2 year old son. Married, and going to college. I wanted to know what can I do for visitation rights as an aunt? Ever since my niece was born (I was at the time living with my mother and in high school) My brother and his girlfriend would leave my niece at our care every single weekend. Sometimes even for weeks. There was never a problem with us seen her. Now almost five years later, my brother and his girlfriend are splitting up for whatever reason. And for months now she hasn't been answering my call or my mothers, not allowing us to see my niece :( Obviously this hurts us a lot! I saw that little girl grow up in front of my eyes, more than aunt I feel a motherly love toward her :( . And I don't want her to forget about us. Whatever happened between her and my brother isn't our fault. I don't understand why she's doing this to us, not only does she hurt us, but my niece as well. She grew up calling my mother "MOM". We took care of her! And now she finally decided to be a parent! I don't think its fair! And I want to know if there is anything we can do. My mother is an alcoholic and always was, that never bothered her when she wanted to go out. Right?. I understand that may be a concern for her now! But I live on my own with my husband and son. I don't drink or do any type of drugs, so why not let me see her at least for a couple of hours? Im not asking her for much! I wouldn't mind going over and spending time with my niece with her being there, but I can't even do that.
    My brother doesn't work, he is a lazy and I am ashamed of him. So is there any way my mom could take his place providing child support? There for allowing us to see her? What do you suggest I do? I can't imagine my life with out that little girl! She means sooooo much to me! :(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2009, 06:38 PM

You talk to your brother, make up with him, get him to get the child for visits. And you can see the child when he has the child.

You have no rights of your own. Your brother as the father can get visits rights.

Your mom can pay the child support for your brother, he can get visits
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    you talk to your brother, make up with him, get him to get the child for visits. And you can see the child when he has the child.

you have no rights of your own. Your brother as the father can get visits rights.

Your mom can pay the child support for your brother, he can get visits
    It is also possible, depending on your state, that your mother can get visitation under the grandparent visitation laws.

But as Chuck said... you have no legal standing yourself in this matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an aunt get visitation or custody of her niece? [ 4 Answers ]

My niece stayed primarily with me the 1st year of her life. Due to childcare issues at the time I had the mother take her half the week. Mom has always collected welfare on the child. I have never asked for any money from mom for her support. She is now 4yrs old. She stays with me anywhere from...

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Can an AUNT get visitation? [ 4 Answers ]

Can an aunt get visitation when she is banned from seeing her niece and nephew? This has taken place by the mother of the children. The father of children is my brother!! Also, I live in Indiana, have been married for 20 years, have a 19 year old daughter and a 23 year old son.

Can an aunt fight for visitation [ 1 Answers ]

My brother had kids with my ex best friend. Their relationship was very abusive and I was always the one who tried to bring sense to my friend and tell her to end the relationship for her kids. That never worked so I had to resort to calling child protective. My niece and nephew were always with...

View more questions Search