Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goodneighborswanted Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Oct 3, 2006, 11:49 PM
    Neighbors are winning. Help me!
    :( Please help. I'm at wits end. So bad it's effecting my marriage and motherhood. I am ready to go somewhere but nowhere to go...
    Recently moved into a newly built house on acreage(another story but nothing good). Neighbor allowed their dogs to run, cornered husband in port-a-potty during building, chased our 10 yr old cat up a tree, saw 2 of 3 dogs at our rabbit pens trying to get rabbits, our 1st 2 were killed during construction and assumed it was done by coyotes, growled and lunged at dh and dd, etc. etc. Husband spoke to them 3 times and on the 4th time told them no more, there are leash laws and we can protect our animals, livestock as we see fit. The woman was upset that she'd moved to the country to let her dogs run free.
    Then the day Rock Concert with amps that went on for 8-9 hours and when we called law enforcement, they said the noise ordinance went into effect at 10PM but we have to listen to their crap music (a friend was over and it was awful music and loud). Called our commissioner and said the noise ordinance was not enforced properly. Another time the male neighbor creeps out of the tree line when I have a service guy at the house. The woman shows up at 9:30 on a Friday night cutting bushes on the property line peering into our house from her property. Then we have a note attached to our gate leading into our property accusing us of stealing their statue, they'd forgive us if it's returned and it's a Federal offense (what?) to steal/take a religious icon. Then 3-4 days later while we are out on our property we see this statue on their property, facing our property and it's put up while we were out of view so know they are watching us from the tree line. Law enforcement, whom was called said it was odd that our house is here and theirs is way up front and why'd they put it at the corner, facing us. The man shows up a few days later when I'm returning home and puts a flower on the statue so again know he/they are watching our comings and goings. The woman shows up again and replaces the flower back as it's blown over in the last 3 days and once again does it while we are gone.
    There is more and difficult to explain except they have to make a huge effort to walk to this statue. Understand it's on their land but directed at us in our direction, no idea what it is or means and the watching is getting to me so bad that I want to move!:( :( :( We left our last place due to smallness of house, wanted more land and left behind neighbors there that were dealing drugs! Now we have no idea who or what these people are about; the man did tell my dh during a "dog talk" that their son had mental problems and we have a young daughter so VERY concerned. Is this harassment, stalking?
    I have no support or anywhere to turn to. Dh is doing his best to cope with me, we are getting trees and bamboo planted but it's a length of over 500 ft and a fence is too expensive (we can not afford a none see through fence, already have barbed wire fencing as we'll have animals) and plants take too long. I am desperate. Oh, yes, there are property covenants (no homeowner assoc. but recorded) that state no noise, dogs running or structures within 50 ft of the property lines. The statue is sitting on a wood stump so could be a 'structure'. I'm mad, angry, want to get even, causing our family a lot of grief, move and feel I'm at my last straw.
    Any help, suggestions, support would be so greatly appreciated. If there are sites you'd recommend, please do. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I need HELP!! :(
    Edited to answer and input more from previous post responses. THANK YOU for reading!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2006, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goodneighborswanted
    Oh, yes, there are property covenants that state...
    If there are property covenants there there must be a property owners association that you can appeal to.

But frankly, rather then getting desperate and upset, put up a fence. It may be expensive, but it will give you the best peace of mind. You can put up lower cost wire fencing for for a few hundred dollars.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2006, 06:23 AM
    If you have a video camera you can log some evidence in case you need to provide some.

Oct 4, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Can't afford a fence and camera is in the works but too far from house to corner of property where occurrences are happening. Am documenting. Thank you for your posts.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 4, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Rat poison sprinkled on raw meat works well with unleashed dogs. Be careful your cats don't get into it though!

If you can't bare the burdon, you can use laxitives instead of rat poison!

Oct 4, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Don't want to hurt anyone or anything. I just want to be left alone, no peering, stalking, watching me. TIA
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Hello goodneighbor:

there are leash laws and we can protect our animals, livestock as we see fit. !
    If there are leash laws, who did you call to "protect your animals"? Who did you sue when your rabbits died? Did you document any of those occurrences? Do you take pictures? You mentioned covenants? Who have YOU made a complaint to? No, I don't think you did any of those… Don't lay down for your neighbors, they'll step on you.

My advice, in a nutshell, can be summed up in this trite little phrase: An armed society is a polite society. You must DEFEND YOUR HOME! You aren't! It's a shame that you have to – but YOU have to. Cops will only RE-act if there's a crime. You don't want to wait for one to occur.

I'm talking about intimidation. Right now, YOU are the ones being intimidated. You need to change that equation. If you're not up to the task, then you must move. Let me say that again, because what I'm proposing is dangerous if you can't pull it off. If you can't, or won't change your behavior – you MUST move. If you can't, or won't spend money, then read no further - you're doomed. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

They've got a statue looking at you? Get a bigger one, and look at them. Put a video camera there, and anywhere else you're having problems. They can be run on battery packs, and activated by motion sensors (along with huge spotlights). A big fence is NOT a bad idea. These days, many states allow people to carry concealed weapons. Go buy a big hand gun. Send them the receipt. Take classes and get your permit to carry it concealed. Send them a copy. Do you drive a Volvo? Sell it, and buy a Hummer. Do you get my drift?

excon
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Hello again neighbor:

I'm a sucker for retribution stuff when it comes to bullies. I hate Jennifer Lopez, but she's in a movie that I enjoyed immensely. Can't remember the name of it. She's a beautiful young wife and mother when she discovers that her husband is an abusing and philandering SOB. Well, for the first half of the movie, she get's beaten up pretty badly by this bully...

But, she changed her equation. And, she kicked some *ss. I loved it. I hope you kick some *ss!

excon

Oct 4, 2006, 09:59 AM
    If a neighbor's dog attacked any animal of mine, it would be flat on it back dead... and that goes the same with any dog of mine.

There wouldn't even be a thought process of who's at fault! I've seen my cousin's face after a dog attack...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2006, 10:04 AM
    bhayne,

You don't think that that tactic would lead to the situation escalating out of hand?

Oct 4, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Both dh and I have been dog attacked in the past. I think we were way too "nice". Should have ended it the first time! Hope your cousin's OK. To this day, I hate all dogs equally, and not to crazy about dog owners in general!

Oct 4, 2006, 10:57 AM
    excon, check your private messages. Sent you a huge message. Did you not get it? Da**!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Excon, check your private messages. Sent you a huge message. Did you not get it? Da**!
    Most of the regulars prefer that questions and follow-up be public. One of the ideas of a site like this is to help people learn by seeing the problems and solutions from others. Using PMs to anything but personal correspondence goes against that purpose.

Oct 4, 2006, 11:47 AM
    I wouldn't advertise the fact. Heck, the dog attacks anything that moves. If it attacked certain frogs or toads it would also get poisoned.

When an owner lets a dog roam, it is unreasonable for the owner to expect it to come home.

One friend of mine had a dog that kept chasing his car. Finally, he attached a towel to one of his wheels. The dog's demise was when it finally caught the car!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2006, 03:55 PM
    I saw this episode on Judge Judy!

Basically, what happened was after numerous police reports, she finally went bonkers and shot at the dog when it was on her property.

Judge Judy didn’t like the concept of shooting at animals, but she understood and let her off the hook.

She claimed the dog was scaring her horse. Which probably was true to a degree, but I think the lady just flipped out (and I don’t blame her)…you can only try the polite channels for so long.

Oct 5, 2006, 02:54 PM
    I would also plan out a fence. You don't need to build one but you could place the 8' section that goes in front of the statue. I think your neighbors would get the idea and your view of the statue would be gone.

I suggest starting a six foot brick fence. It will block the view, block the noise and be more indestructable than a wood fence.

Oct 5, 2006, 07:47 PM
    I'd thought it was 500; more like 1000 feet that need to be fenced. Have bamboo ready to planted and lyland cyress that are fast growers but in time. So instantly now, looking at roofing paper and 2x4s that are high enough to block the view. The SOB was on the border again, and only does it when husband isn't around. I am thinking meaner and never been one to be a victim but sure tired of this SH**! It's hard to think evil when I'm more a "leave me alone and I'll stay out of your way" kind of person. But there is only so far! I was thinking a devil statue with blood drippings (easy to find devil stuff with Halloween and calf liver!) The dog issue is a give me. There will be no more muts next time!! Looking like a total fool with law enforcement since this has happened before! But document, document, document, etc. They will hang themselves. I just need some more devilly deeds and ways to play "their" game. Walking lightly as we need to 'look' like we aren't the bad guy here! Thank you for the support. I am feeling better and don't get mad, get even is being thought out more and more. Please keep your posts coming. More on the other issues rather then the dog. I do have a concealed gun permit! Again, TIA!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 21, 2006, 07:20 AM
    I have been in harm's way by the irresponsible actions of neighbors too --there is a thread under etiquette about how they set a fire and nearly burned the neighborhood down. It is partly the cause of my purchasing a gun and taking the concealed weapons permit class (more for safety sake and proper gun handling education) -- which is another whole thread too, LOL hot sauce not withstanding.

Twice I have been almost attacked by their roaming dog (both times on my property) so I checked with the laws, and visited my neighbors-- informing them that if I see their dog on my property again, I would shoot it. I acknowledge fully that it would be very traumatizing if I did kill an animal and telling them was no easy feat either. But I won't live in fear, I am within my legal rights to defend myself and felt ethically obliged to warn them. I did not threaten them in any way and I don't have anything against the dog. All I asked was they keep their dog off my property at all times.

I am happy to report the bi-weekly visits from their dog have completely stopped. Mind you, it is really really important to know your legal rights, responsibilities and limitations. Its sometimes a fine line and the laws are fairly complicated so complete research is a must do!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 23, 2006, 07:18 AM
    An Afterthought: Before the gun purchase I bought a canister of pepper spray. I still carry that with me in the woods. I was fairly certain any animal sprayed with that will be reluctant to return to my yard. Its another option, fairly cheap and easy but one that calls for close quarters. If intertested in that, I have tips on its effective use the store who sold it to me suggested.

Again, know the laws. Spraying an animal in self defense is pretty simple deal, but if its ever a person, the laws are much more comprehensive.
    stonestrung Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Reading Your Post Sent Chills Up My Spine. I Strongly Feel That You Should Install Alarm With Survallence Equipment Keep Your Vcr Always On. I Own 2 Wonderful Dogs They Are My Life My Little Babies Yet They Weigh 130- 170 Pitbull Masiff’s Even Though They Love Me I Know That If They Were To Get Out I Have A Responsinility To Keep Them On A Leash At All Times Outside My Home They Wouldn’t Think Twice To Have The Neighbors Dog For Lunch I Simply Would Never Let This Happen… Your Neighbors Are Very Scarry You Have Every Right To Be Concerned Please Don’t Poisen Their Dogs It Is Instinct For Them To Attack Why Don’t You Call Animal Rescue “””””no Kill”””””animal Cops If You Say An Animal Is Being Abused Or Neglected Which If They Are Being Let Loose Their Owners Are Responsible They Will Do A Wellness Check On Their Animals More Than Likely Will Have Them Taken Away At The Rate It Sounds Its Going They Might Seriously Hurt Someone (when My Dogs Were Babies Their Parents Almost Mauled A Girl To Death As No Fault Of The Owners The Girl Was Trespassing They Were Protecting Their Home She Uninvited Came On To Property And They Attacked Her) That’s A Whole Different Story…i Wish You Well Good Luck!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disrespectful Neighbors... [ 9 Answers ]

Living in CT, what are laws pertaining to neighbors, that play loud music all day long, and musical instruments all hours of the night, to the point where we can't hear the T.V. and the floor is vibrating. This has been a feud since he moved in. Cops were involved before, but nothing came about. ...

Rude Neighbors [ 6 Answers ]

Help! I have neighbors who continuously invite themselves over to gatherings I have at my house, or gatherings my neighbors have (where we've been invited). This has been going on for 2-3 years now! We've just become close to neighbors on the other side of their house, and if we're over there,...

Neighbors bushes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a problem with my neighbors bushes hanging past my property line. This wouldn't be such a big deal except the bushes a very thorny and a huge pain to mow under. If I asked my neighbors to trim them and they don't, is it legal for me to trim them? And how long should I wait for them to do...

Party Animal Neighbors [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a townhouse with a small back yard. My back yard is fenced in. My next door neighbors are a single mother age 37 & her daughter age 18. The mother is never home. The daughter is home alone. The daughter has many parties. Young kids attend the parties, ages 16 through 20. Alcohol...

Party Animal Neighbors [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a townhouse with a small back yard. My back yard is fenced in. My next door neighbors are a single mother age 37 & her daughter age 18. The mother is never home. The daughter is home alone. The daughter has many parties. Young kids attend the parties, ages 16 through 20. Alcohol...

View more questions Search