Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    salamander5 Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

May 26, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Geometry - finding this area!
    There are 7.5 gallons in one cubic foot of water. How many gallons of water would it take to fill up a pool 30 feet long, 18 feet wide, 4 feet deep at the beginning and then sloping down to 8 feet deep towards the end (maintain a constant slope). Does anyone know how to solve this?? (And then tell me how you did it!) Thanks!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2009, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by salamander5 View Post
    There are 7.5 gallons in one cubic foot of water. How many gallons of water would it take to fill up a pool 30 feet long, 18 feet wide, 4 feet deep at the beginning and then sloping down to 8 feet deep towards the end (maintain a constant slope).
    The figure shows a cross section of the pool looking at the side (it's not to scale). You break the problem down into two problems. Find the area of the rectangle at the top (4 ft x 30 ft). Multiply that by the width and you have its volume. Find the area of the triangle at the bottom (base = 30 ft, height = 4 ft). Multiply that by the width of the pool and you have its volume.

You'll now have the entire pool's volume in cubic feet. Convert that to gallons using the conversion factor you were given and viola!
    Attached Images

salamander5 Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

May 26, 2009, 02:54 PM

Thanks for your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Geometry: Area of a Square in a Circle [ 1 Answers ]

So, I am trying to determine how to to find the area of a square that is inscribed in a circle. The only information I have is that the circumference of the circle is 10 inches. So from here I have determined that: Diameter is 3.18 (10/pi) Radius is 1.59 So I would think with that...

Geometry finding # of sides! [ 2 Answers ]

The question is... Find the number of sides in the polygon. The measure of the interior angles is 900. Can anyone help me with this problem? Walk me through it if possible? Thanks in advance!

Geometry Surface area for a cylinder with cone on top [ 3 Answers ]

I need some help on the way to solve for the surface area of a cylinder with a cone on the top. I think that I solve for the surface area of the cone, then solve for the surface of the cylinder. I have the height from the center of the bottom circle to the apex of the cone, and I have the radius...

Geometry area. [ 1 Answers ]

Geometry (surface area) [ 15 Answers ]

Hello! I am having difficulty answering this question. If someone can please tell me how to solve these geometry problems, I will be very grateful! Thank you in advance! =) Find the surface area of the following regular polyhedra to the nearest cm^2 (squared). a. Tetrahedron with edge length...

View more questions Search