Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

May 26, 2009, 01:47 PM
    Reading lab report
    I just received a lab report for my cholesterol level but I don't know how to read it.
    There are two columns. One is RESULTS... and below is 160. Next to it is another column called REFERENCE RANGE and below is >200 mg/dL. Now, which do I consider?
    HDL Cholesterol is 52... <150 mg dL in reference range, and so on.
    It is very confusing. So which column do I pay more attention to, the results column or the reference range column?
    Thanks to anyone who can help.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 26, 2009, 01:56 PM

Pay attention to both. The results are what was determined from your blood work. The reference shows you the range that is considered the norm or ideal. Some labs will also show "in range" and "out of range" to show you which tests your blood work came back as being fine and which your doctor will likely want to discuss with you.

As an example: A reference that shows <150mg means your results should ideally be less than 150
    >200 mg means ideally your result would be more than 200

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I reading too much into this? [ 4 Answers ]

First of all thanks for any opinions I get on this. I have been married for 3 years and have known him for over 4. During our dating period he cheated on me, (2 times) I caught him, and was ready to leave, he convinced me to give him another chance he loved me and wanted to change. I must say...

Am I reading it too much? [ 4 Answers ]

Jason is my friend's friend and I am interested in him. We went out last week in a group and jason asked if I knew that my friend (david) likes me and stuff. I told Jason that David and I are just friends and Jason called me later that week and we talked for a short while but never called me...

Reading my credit report [ 2 Answers ]

:mad: I recently requested a copy of my credit report because I had paid off some chargeoffs and bad debt. I am trying to determine when these accounts will drop off my report. There are 2 different dates for last activity and last payment. What date should I go by? Also, 2 accounts only list a...

View more questions Search