Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

May 26, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Floor not level for hardwood floor?
    I am installing 3/4 hardwood flooring and one room is not level most of floor is about 1/4 inch and one spot is about 1/2'' off. What is the best and for me the fastest way to level floor. I was told build up with wood then use a compound that won't crack when nails are pounded through hard wood. And also read somewhere use shingles. So can someone please advise?
    belovedgift Posts: 69, Reputation: 13

May 26, 2009, 09:11 AM

Believe it or not,a half inch is not really that critical if it is in the middle of the floor in a room, especially when using hard wood tongue and groove flooring. It is however imperative to maintain a level around door frames. I highly recommend using a mixable floor leaving compound that is silica based. It is good for anything out of level under half an inch.
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

May 26, 2009, 09:34 AM

Would a Home depot carry this compound.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 26, 2009, 10:05 AM

Most appropriate product would be a floor leveling compound. This is a cement product, mixed up very thin, poured out like water and allowed to self level. Any thickness over 1/4" probably requires a wire mesh to prevent cracking. Nail through to subfloor. Available at home centers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing toilet over new hardwood floors - flange is now below floor level [ 2 Answers ]

I have remodeled a bathroom and replaced carpet floors with hardwood. This now puts the toilet flange below the floor level. Is there a thicker or additional flange to bring the connection (with the toilet) level up 1/2 to 3/4 inches?

How to transition hardwood floor to carpet/tile on a slab floor [ 1 Answers ]

We installed new hardwood flooring on our slab floor, it is a floating floor. How do we transition to tile and carpet? Do we need to glue the transitions down?

Adhesive on old hardwood floor [ 2 Answers ]

I discovered that under three layers of old vinyl tile in a 1954 kitchen, I have hardwood floors. Unfortunately, the first layer of tile was glued with what is now black, very sticky adhesive. Is this a death sentence to refinishing the wooden floors? Any suggestions on removal of the black goo?...

Hardwood floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm taking up carpet form old hardwood floor and going to put new hardwood floor next to the old, there is about 1/2 inch difference in height what kind of transition do I need between the old and new.

View more questions Search