Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deannawannaknow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Someon claimed my son on their taxes.
    This year I tried to file my son on my taxes. Little to my knowledge did I know that someone had already claimed him on their taxes. The tax place that I went to did little help in my search for who could have gotten ahold of our information.
    Do anyone know how I can find out who abused his information?
    How can I get these people prosecuted?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 26, 2009, 07:43 AM

When you attempt to file electronically, it will kick out the return if someone claimed on your return has been claimed on another return. You can still file by submitting a written form with a letter to the effect that anyone else claiming your son is not allowed to. Then let the IRS sort it out. It could be a simple error in entering the SSN.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 27, 2009, 12:59 AM

If you think that you are the one who can claim the dependent, then file your tax return and claim the dependent. It you are unable to efile, then send paper return. IRS with then contact both of your and figure out who must amend the tax return and pay the tax due with interest and penalty.

Only custodial parent can claim the child. It does not count who is paying child support. Also, non-custodial parent can claim the child only if the custodial parent signs a release Form 8863 or there is a court order meeting the IRS requirements. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Child of separated or divorced parents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone claimed my child on taxes [ 21 Answers ]

I e filed my taxes and to my surprise someone I don't even know who it is claimed one of my children what steps do I take to find out who it is and what do I do about it:mad:

IRS rejected my taxes because someone claimed my son [ 4 Answers ]

I e-filed my taxes this year only to find out that it was rejected by the IRS because someone has claimed my son... how can I find out who and can I prosecute?

Someone ever claimed your child on taxes illegally? [ 6 Answers ]

I am very mad someone is claiming my 3 year old son on their taxes... not sure who or what I should do>>>>>>>>>:mad::mad:

Can I find out who claimed my son as a dependent on their taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. This question is in regards to my taxes. When I filed my taxes the IRS sent a rejection letter back saying that someone had already claimed my son as a dependent. His mother doesn't work and I am the cole provider and the three of us live together. How can I find out who claimed my son as a...

Taxes rejected because dependents already claimed [ 5 Answers ]

My tax return was rejected due to my dependents already being claimed, my ex-boyfriend has claimed them. This is 2 years in a row that he has has put them down on his tax return. He is not the custodial parent and he only sees them when it is convenient for him. No child support of any nature. ...

View more questions Search