Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcage009 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Questions about IL-1040
    Hi,

I am Ishan. I am an International Student from India and I need help for filing my IL-1040 form. This is my first time I am filing this form so I don't have any clue on how to file it. I will give you details from my W-2 form. I am a Non Resident.

Details from W-2 form.

Box 1 - $ 352.19 (Wages, tips and other compensation)
    Box 16 - $ 352.19 (Wages,tips, etc)
    Box 17 - 1.70 (State Income Tax)
    All other boxes - $ 0

I need help from Step 2 till end. I talked to my college tax adviser and she said that for most of the lines I would be filling about $0 but I am not sure for which ones. She is not in college for 2 weeks so I need anyone help ASAP.

If anyone who can help me out. Can you send me for which lines do I need to fill $ 0 and for which lines do I need to fill other things. I would be really glad if you can help me because I have to file it ASAP.

Thank You,

Ishan :).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 26, 2009, 07:26 AM
    Ishan:

You have NO LEGAL OBLIGATION to file a return for the level of income you have earned.

Your refund will be, at most, $2, so why are you even bothering?
    jcage009 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 07:38 AM
    Dear Sir,

When I was searching for filing IL-1040 and 1040NR-EZ, I found out that if your income is below 3000$ I don't need to file any return. But when I talked to my tax adviser he said as your are an international student, you need to file your tax return that's why I am have to do it. She also said If I don't file right now, IRS might question me after 4-5 years that why didn't you file at that time. So I am really confused about it. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Thank you,

Ishan Shah.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 27, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Mr. Shah:

Your tax advisor has the ulterior motive (profit) of wanting to CHARGE you a fee to prepare the return, even though she KNOWS that you do NOT have to file.

Further, the IRS does not care about you filing the Illinois state tax return. They only care about federal tax returns.

Finally, neither the IRS nor the state of Illinois will question you about NOT filing this return. It clearly states on BOTH the IRS and state of Illinois tax websites that income levels that low have no legal obligation to file.

STRONGLY suggest you find a new tax consultant, one who puts your interest ahead of her bottom line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrongly filed using 1040 ez instead of 1040 NR in f1 status [ 12 Answers ]

Sir, I filed my 2007 taxes using e file through turbo tax online. I received the refunds and the problem is later I got to know that a student in f1 visa has to file using 1040 nr which I didn't do. I also got the tax refund/rebate check on may 2 as I used 1040 form for filing my taxes. I am...

1040 NR or 1040 NR EZ, if I have donations to charities made? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: I am on F1 visa starting from 2004 August till today. I have read in the articles that I am a non-resident for tax purpose. I have the following questions I am not able to figure out. 1) Should I file 1040 NR EZ or 1040 NR? 2) I have made some donations of more than $700 in 2008 and...

1040 NR or 1040? Married filing jointly? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello tax experts, I've been on H1-B visa since October 2007. On 2008, I lived in US for 344 days, so I meet the substantial present test. Last year I filed a 1040NR, but this year I'd like to file a 1040 in order to claim my wife (H4 no SSN) as an exemption. - Could she apply for a W-7...

Five years F-1, file jointly, 1040 or 1040 NR? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I understand this question may have been asked several times here, but just want to confirm some of my special situations: I have been a F-1 student since September 2003, currently I am on OPT (since August 2008). According to some of the earlier topics on this forum, I should file as...

Recovery rebate credit (1040) - first time 1040 filer [ 2 Answers ]

Dear tax experts, I have been an international grad student since fall 2003, and I have already filed 1040NR 5 times and this is my first time to file 1040 form. The line 9 asks whether I am qualified to get Recovery rebate credit ($600) or not. So I just want to make sure if I am qualified....

View more questions Search