Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ggand4 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 09:46 PM
    Sponsoring a family member
    Can a green card son of 25 years old sponsor his/her parent even if the child is not a US Citizen yet? Thank you in advance :)
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

May 26, 2009, 10:19 AM

No, adult child must be a USC to petition for parents. If otherwise qualified , file for natz, only taking 4-6 months.

May 26, 2009, 04:57 PM

Ok, I see. Thanks for the reply. But what happens if the adult child who's not a USC yet, petitions the parents... will that be a waste of time & money or the INS will not honor the application?

May 27, 2009, 08:43 AM

USCIS cannot approve the case because the law doesn't allow for the petition.

If an adult LPR child petitions, there is no category to check off on the form. So they will be filing for a benefit that doesn't exist under current law.

I don't know if this will help, but as an example consider this. If the age for applying for a drivers license is 16, can someone that is 15, but will be 16 in a year apply? No, they must be 16 years old. If they apply for a drivers license, they will be denied.

For your case, if lucky, the case will be rejected and the check returned. If unlucky, the case will be denied and the check not returned.

Please consider filing for citizenship, it is fast and it creates the relationship that the USCIS will allow a petition.

May 27, 2009, 10:00 AM

Thanks a lot DCcityboy... really appreciated. BTW, if you don't mind, do you have a website that I can visit to get more info? Thanks again

May 27, 2009, 03:01 PM

I don't have the exact urls, but these are excellent law firms and the websites are probably very useful: Carl Shusterman; Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen and Foster Quan.

Your case is very straightforward, any immigration attorney should be able to assist. Good luck!

May 27, 2009, 03:43 PM

Thanks again, DCcityboy. Have a great one :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting a family member [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 25 yr old son that is very disrespectful to me and other family memebers I have told him he has to leave but he refuses how can I get him out of my home.. before he destroys it even more?

Non-for-Profit Sponsoring [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I am with the Religions for Peace Organization in NY and I am researching organizations that sponsor non-for-profit communications efforts (ie. Brochures, newsletters, printing, duplication, etc.). Where can I start my research? Thanks! Religions4Peace

Family member eviction [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the state of Coonecticut, my daughter is out of control, how do I go about evicting her and what are my rights?

View more questions Search