Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Hot water temperature fluctuates
    I find this odd, but someone else may be experiencing it. Whenever I take a shower, the water often changes temperature... sometimes hot, sometimes cold. It never lasts too long, usually long enough just to notice it, then it returns. But it will happen 5-10 times during a shower. The obvious answer is that someone is running water while I shower, but it happens when I or my wife are alone in the home. Seems a bit peculiar to me, but I can't find any reason for ti to be happening. And it's not just the shower. If I am washing my hands for an extended amount of time the water temp fluctuates as well.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 26, 2009, 05:36 AM
    Is there a recirculating pump on your hot water system? Let me know, Tom
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Nope, no pump A few more details, it is electric, and 80 gallon. And we've never run out of hot water.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 26, 2009, 03:12 PM

How old is the heater?

Tom can shoot me down on this, but consider a possible defective or disintergrated dip tube.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 26, 2009, 03:22 PM

Very important question here. Do you notice any difference in pressure when this happens?
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2009, 04:55 PM
    Home was built in 2003... and I do not notice any difference in pressure.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 26, 2009, 05:25 PM

Tom hasn't come along to shoot me down yet so I'm going to say that your dip tub is gone. Cold water is coming in at the top rather than the bottom of the water heater and going directly out the hot water outlet.
    Why this is speratic probably has to do with the mixing of hot and cold water and circulation within the tank
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2009, 05:27 PM

One way to determine a dip tube problem is to remove your faucet aerators and look for small plastic particles clogging the screen. To check whether these particles are plastic or merely calcium, put some in a capful of vinegar. If they do not dissolve, they are plastic and you have a defective dip tube. (Caution: this is only one way to test, and a lack of particles may not mean that your dip tube is functioning properly).

Also please open the link below it will show how the dip tube works and also will show what happens when it fails, Good Luck.

John

How a water heater dip tube works and what it looks like.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oven temperature fluctuates both up and down [ 5 Answers ]

Kenmore Oven Model# 790.95889300 We set it on preheat to 400 degrees, when it beeps, the inside gauge we put in indicates actual temperature is 300 degrees, so then set it at 475, and it then reads internal temp at 375-400, then we put the food in, and can't leave it set at 475, because it starts...

Temperature gauge fluctuates [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 98 GMC truck. My problem is real simple to describe. When I start the truck up from cold, the temp gauge moves up like it should. But it goes to 210 degrees, and then comes back down to 160 degrees and stays there. What would cause this initial rise to 210 before settling on 160? ...

Well water pressure fluctuates [ 2 Answers ]

Our well water pressure changes when we run the system at the high end such as outside hoses or more than one item at the same time. We had the well pump, pressure tank and pressure switch change about 5 years ago. I had the pressure switch changed which is set for 30 to 50,the pressure tank was at...

Water pressure fluctuates [ 1 Answers ]

The water pressure in the faucets, toilets, shower, etc recently started to fluctuate. I have a well with an 9 year old pressure tank. The tank reads 50 psi and rapidly changes from 40 to 60 psi when the water is turned on. Changing the water filter did not alleviate the problem. Is the tank...

View more questions Search