Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gloveday Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 05:55 PM
    No Hot Water After Installing New Shower Valve
    My firend just bought a older home and wanted his bathroom redone. After gutting the bath, removing the old shower valves, replacing it with a Price Pfister single valve I noticed when checking for leaks that when I turned on the shut off valves to the shower that the entire house lost it's hot water. Thinking I had a bad valve, I went to Home Depot, returned it and reinstalled it. After a few days of construction, I wanted to test it before installing the backer board. To my surprise, I still have the same problem. When I turn on the shut off valves to the shower, the hot water in the house gets cold. Any suggestions?:confused:
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 08:51 PM
    Any chance this is an electric hot water heater?

May 25, 2009, 09:04 PM
    Yes, it is electric
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Well a couple of things could have happened. When you shut off the water to do the plumbing, you may have drained the water heater down enough to allow the element(s) to be out of the water. If they were powered at the time... they would burn out as soon as they were out of the water. There is a reset button on one or both of the elements... check that.

May 25, 2009, 09:21 PM
    I have plenty off hot water. The only time I don't have hot water is when I open the shut off valves to the new shower
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 26, 2009, 08:04 AM

Do you mean you don't have ANY hot water in ENTIRE house when you open the new shower faucet ?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 26, 2009, 10:35 AM

This I got to see. Please post picture of you plumbing.

May 26, 2009, 02:55 PM
    I want to thank everyone for their comments. I finally figured out what was wrong. I seemed to me that it had to be in the new shower valve somewhere because if I isolated the valve via the Hot/Cold shut offs I would have hot water everywhere.

So this morning, I uncapped the shower nipple, put a 5 gallon bucket under it and opened up the shutt offs. It was then I discovered that I couldn't turn the water off with the shower handle. So I quickly closed the shut offs and tore apart the new valve. What I found was that the cold water side of the cylinder was stuck shut. Hence the cold water was running right on past the valve and into the hot water feed.

Once I exchanged the fixture, everything worked like a charm...

Thanks again for all of your help... This is a great help site.

Gary

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing hot water shut off valve [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a ball valve to install a shut off on my hot water heater. However, it says that it is for LP gas. Will it work for water also?

Installing a single handle shower valve [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower valve (new construction) using PEX tubing, the tubing won't support the valve and the valve has no mounting tabs. What is the best way to anchor the valve body?

New Kohler shower valve. Only hot water comes out. [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have a new single handle Kohler shower valve but only hot water comes out. I have gone as far as pulling the shower valve out but I see no adjustments. What could be wrong?

No hot water from mixer shower valve [ 1 Answers ]

I have had anew shower valve fitted but there seems to be no hot water coming to it even though both hot andcoldpipesare plumbed in. It is an "AROCO SHOWERING by Daryl" shower valve which isless than 12months old. Do I need to replace the whole valve or is it an internal probem? Thanks in...

View more questions Search