Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anileya99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Unable to pull up external hard drive which prev worked
    My external hard drive has worked splendidly since I received it almost 2 yrs ago until just recently. It's a SEAGATE FREEAGENT DESKTOP 500GB. It was possibly unplugged prior to shutting down the PC during a recent 'move'. My PC is Windows xp home sp3.

When I turn on the PC a wizard comes in to install new hardware, I try every possible way to get through it but in the end it says: "cannot install a65qddih ide controller-scsi/raid host controller the specified device does not exist as an installed service." When I try to go through device mgr I get these 2 errors: (#1) driver maybe corrupted or missing (CODE 39) and (#2) windows cannot determine setting for this service & use the resource tab to set the config (CODE 34)

I have tried restoring back prior to no no avail. I am quite sure there is a "google redirecting" nasty in the pc-I am not sure how much damage that could possibly do or if it hAs anything to do with this issue but I'm trying to be thorough.

Please help!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 08:40 PM

does not exist as an installed service
    Check your services to see if something reflects this service that may be needed and is not disabled

-Start, run, type services.msc and OK
    -Go down the list and look for something that may be related to this device or service and if there and found, make sure it is set to automatic

**Right click on item and go to properties
    -Change to Automatic in dropdodwn box and click OK

Now try again to see if it is found on startup

The code 39 would mean the driver would need to be installed/reinstalled if that comes up again after check the services

Try that first and post back if anything happens or changes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

How do I move my files to the external hard drive

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I am running a HP A1657C PC,I would like to purchase a external hard drive about 160 gig can you advice which one would be right for me. I want to back up c drive and at present only using about 30 gig but want room to expand. Thanks for reading this and any info you can offer Alan

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Need a non-USB external hard drive [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to utilize an old (read: OLD) Thinkpad to play .mp3's on my home stereo. Problem is, the laptop doesn't have a USB port. Are there (ok, were there) ext h-d's that weren't USB dependent, or do I need to find a USB flash card?

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Freecom External Classic Hard Drive, 153 GB Available. Attempted to “Microsoft Backup” my Laptop (approx 40GB of data) to External Hard Drive. After about 10 minutes of operating I got the following Message – “You have either run out space or the backup file (.BKF) is too large for...

View more questions Search