Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1st_time_buyer Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 12:54 PM
    First time home buyer
    Hi, everyone,

I am trying to buy a house in California. I am just wondering if it's possible to have 2 agents working for you at the same time in the same area?

Would that create any conflict?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Uy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2009, 01:26 PM

Are they hired as a buyers agent, or merely a agent you asked to help find you a house,

The last house I bought I asked and called every major broker to show me houses

May 25, 2009, 02:21 PM

Hi, Fr_Chuck,

The agent will be hired as a buyer's agent. I will tell him/her which house I want and the agent just needs to submit the paperworks on my behalf.

The thing is that I already have an agent -- but he is not very "proactive." He made an offer on a house for us already - short sale. I waited 1.5 months and I am tired of waiting. ><

I am thinking of getting another agent. But at the same time, I wanted to get a reply from the house my agent made the offer on.

So is it possible to get another agent while waiting like this?

Thanks,

Uy.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 25, 2009, 02:37 PM

You need to read the contract you entered into with the agent. It may provide for exclusivity. If it does then you cannot hire another agent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2009, 04:12 PM

Yes and the terms for fireing the agent, the new agent can not present or represent you on any properly you already were shown
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2009, 09:51 AM

We had the same situation. We left in the offer with the worthless agent and looked at new properties with the other. Once we found a place we liked, we withdrew our offer on the short sale and fired the original agent.

But if you signed some sort of contract (and I understand that they are uncommon for buyer's agents other than saying that another agent cannot represent you in a property they show) that will prevail here.

May 26, 2009, 09:55 AM

A buyer's agent enters into a contract with the buyer to represent the buyer in finding a property. This is unlike a real eastate agent who just shows properties to a buyer. Usually there is a contract between buyer and buyer's agent.

May 27, 2009, 04:14 AM

Comments on this post
    stevetcg agrees: Not doubting you - just curious how one is different than the other. Always though "buyers agent, sellers agent" - how is there a third party in a 2 party game?

Most buyers go to a real estate agent. Such a person will show the buyer properties. They will generally first show them properties that they have listings for. If none of those listings satisfy, then will then show listings from other brokers. But they basically will represent a seller even while working for the interests of the buyer. They are trying to match the two up.

A buyer's agent works directly and solely for the buyer. Their job is to work with agents and brokers to find properties that match the buyer's criteria. Their sole allegiance is to the buyer.

A buyer may walk into a real estate office and ask to be shown properties. They may walk into several such offices and have no obligations to any office until they make an offer.

A buyer's agent has a contract with the buyer to work for their interests.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 06:27 AM

Odd - I had 2 buyers agents (by your description) and neither had me sign any sort of contract and they were most definitely working just for me and my interests.

May 27, 2009, 07:02 AM

Could be a local thing.

Jul 29, 2009, 11:09 PM

Hi,

Thank you very much for your advice. I appreciate it.

Uy.

Jul 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
    You can have 2 agents at once if you don't have any contracts with them. If any agent wants to have a contract, simply don't hire them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax credit for 1st time home buyer [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé has never purchased a house so we would like to take advantage of the $8000 1st time homebuyer tax credit. I however own a home. Does he need to buy our next home without me on the title? Can I be a co-signer for the loan even if I am not put on the title? Can we be married? (Our...

First time home buyer [ 8 Answers ]

I did a quick browse here, and one on Google, but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find out whether the area I am looking at buying a house in has any incentives besides the $8k tax credit. I know a couple years ago, people were talking about how some places were giving a free down...

First time home buyer [ 1 Answers ]

I have bad credit and never owen a home what are my chances?

First Time Home Buyer [ 4 Answers ]

Can you help me buy the house I live in from my parents. I moved into my Grandmothers home with my children after a divorce. My Grandmother has passed away since, and the house is in my Mother and my Aunts name and I pay them rent. I have visited this subject with them and they want to help me out,...

First Time Home Buyer [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking into buying a home for the first time and I'm not really sure how the first time home buyers program works. If you have poor credit (550) are you still eligible for the first time home buyers program or is that score too low to get a mortgage anywhere??

View more questions Search