Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RoisinDubh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 09:09 AM
    write a complete balanced skeleton chemical reaction equation from words
    1.) Tin foil will oxidize when exposed to oxygen forming tin (II) oxide.
    2.) When solid potassium is added to water, hydrogen gas and aqueous potassium hydroxide are produced.
    3.) Solid calcium hydrogen carbonate reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce aqueous calcium chloride, water, and carbon dioxide gas.
    4.) Mercury (II) Bromide decomposes into its elements when treated with electricity.

I would really appreciate some help, for my chemistry honors teacher did not teach us how to do this, but yet he put this on the final exam.:confused:
    Thank you.:D
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 11:31 AM
    1.) Tin foil will oxidize when exposed to oxygen forming tin (II) oxide.
    Tin foil is... drumroll... tin! (actually, a lot of "tin" foil is aluminum foil).
    tin: Sn
    Oxygen: O2
    Tin(II) Oxide: SnO

2.) When solid potassium is added to water, hydrogen gas and aqueous potassium hydroxide are produced.
    Solid potassium: K
    Water: H2O
    Hydrogen gas: H2
    Potassium Hydroxide: KOH

3.) Solid calcium hydrogen carbonate reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce aqueous calcium chloride, water, and carbon dioxide gas.
    Calcium Hydrogen Carbonate: Ca(HCO3)2
    Hydrochloric acid: HCl
    Calcium Chloride: CaCl2
    Water: H2O
    Carbon dioxide: CO2

I'll let you balance the equation.

4.) Mercury (II) Bromide decomposes into its elements when treated with electricity.
    Mercury(II) Bromide: HgBr2
    "Its elements:" Hg (mercury), Br2 (bromine)

If you're in an honors chemistry class, I think these are fairly simple problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can we balance chemical equation by combustion reaction of hydrocarbon? [ 2 Answers ]

Balancing Chemical Equation by combustion reaction of hydrocarbon

How do you write a word equation into a balenced chemical equations ? [ 1 Answers ]

1. Sodium sulfide reacts with lead(II)nitrate to produce sodium nitrate and solid lead (II) sulfide ?

Writing a balanced equation for the following reaction description. [ 6 Answers ]

I am having trouble balancing the equation for the following. also which reaction are they. - An aqueous solution of lead(II) nitrate is mixed with aqueous sodium phosphate to produce solid lead(II) phosphate and aqueous sodium nitrate. - Gallium metal heated in oxygen gas forms solid...

Write a balance equation, as identify each type of reaction? [ 1 Answers ]

When solid sodium nitrate is heated, solid sodium nitrate and oxygen gas are produced. Solid bismuth(III) oxide and solid carbon react to form bismuth metal carbon monoxide gas.

Write a balanced chemical equation for: potassium oxide+ water= potassium hydroxide [ 1 Answers ]

write a balanced chemical equation for: potassium oxide+ water= potassium hydroxide

View more questions Search