Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gyrosman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 01:19 AM
    Electrical system on a 1999 Sportster 1200c
    Just recently my sportster just quits when crusing down the road. I don't travel far less then 5 miles and it quits. Fuel is fine , new battery. I t seems to aheat related problem and I am supecting a over heated coil but is there a capacitor control module under the gas tank anyone. I haven't had to work on it and no manuals yet as I just bought this bike and I am here in Singapore with limited shops ( 1 ) factory store. But being a aircraft electrican I don't trust a shop to troubledshoot very well. I am ordering manuals but looking for a quick answer.

After about 20 minutes the bike will start that is why I think it is a heat related problem on the electrical system.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 25, 2009, 05:28 AM

. Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil. The ICM is most likely the culprit, but I would replace both.

. Remove and fully charge the battery on a motorcycle battery charger. This is especially necessary on new motorcycle batteries. I use an "ampere damper," which attaches to my regular battery charger.

. Clean battery terminals and cable connections. Since you live in Singapore, with the high humidity, be sure to apply dielectric grease to the battery connections.

. Check the charging system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 Honda accord electrical shuts off when driving [ 42 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Honda Accord that occasionately shuts off while driving down road. First thought it just ran out of gas but running out of gas would not shut all electrical systems down. Anyone have any ideas?

1999 Nissan Maxima won't start. Security System light on. [ 6 Answers ]

I have 1999 Nissan maxima. And the security light is on and the car won't start. Does any body know what I can do To reset the alarm and have my car to start again. Please let me know if you know any method of turning the car on. Thank you.

Electrical earthing system [ 1 Answers ]

explain about SOLIDLY EARTHED SYSTEM,minimum resistance value of these?

Honda Accord 1999 - MAIN Electrical supply missing (intermitent) [ 3 Answers ]

No MAIN electricity in the car. Only BRAKE light on the instrument panel is lit and maybe KEY light. I don't think they are significant, because Headlights, Emergency 4-blinkers, Inside light (on the roof), even radio don't get electricity. I tried it 10 times today. Occasionally MAIN...

View more questions Search