Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    In The Doldrums Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 12:35 AM
    My life hasn't turned out the way I thought it should be
    I just had my 44th birthday it was for the most part a y day! The only person who wished me happy birthday and meant it was my oldest daughter. My wife of 23 years never said it at all. I have four children the oldest who no longer lives at home an 18 year old who will be gone as soon as she graduates, a 14 year old daughter who has been the light of my life is now turning the way of her sisters. My son who is 12 just want's to play video games. Mt wife has turned into this bitter creature who has NOTHING positive to say to anyone. So I have turned to my job as an escape, Working every extra hour of over time just to be gone from home and not have to hear her. We have not been intimate for several months, no it's not just a dry spell I have no desire to. All I can hear is the negative words that she spouts. Is it over? I have nothing left to give I'm all out of answers and have tried everything to make her happy. My thoughts of lately have been of a special person from the past "The one that got away". Is this just because I feel so lonely I have no family to turn to so what's a guy to do I want to have someone to share my dreams with instead of a naysayer who laughs at my thoughts. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Meow420 Posts: 132, Reputation: 10

May 25, 2009, 04:04 AM

I'm the last person who should probably be giving relationship advice BUT, if you're not happy, leave.

Id rather be single and happy, then be in a relationship and feel lonely...
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 25, 2009, 04:35 AM

You should also consider marriage counseling.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 25, 2009, 06:14 AM
    23 years is a long investment to give up without a fight.

While I think it's really rotten that your family couldn't have done something for your birthday, that really indicates a selfish bunch in my opinion. No doubt if their birthday's are missed, they would feel the same as you.

Working overtime to stay out of the line of fire at home isn't going to solve any problems. If she is looking for a reason to be p***y with you, you're giving her one.

When there is an imbalance here to the extent that you aren't communicating at all, you have to try harder to figure out why. If your basic needs in the relationship are not being met, you need to be heard! Do you ever challenge your wife, or find quiet time to sit and talk to her? When is the last time you took her out for dinner. She needs to know how you feel.

If she is clear on that point alone, and realizes that you are unhappy, and why, and she makes a choice NOT to try to mend the relationship, then you have some serious decisions to make. Suggest marriage counselling, and if she won't go, you go, and get someone to hear you, and listen to why you are so unhappy.

To stay in the emotional place you are now is only going to get worse.

On the other hand, you deserve respect, you deserve to be happy, and enjoy all the benefits and comforts that marriage can bring. To enjoy the company of somebody you love, and be mutually compatible and loving to each other is the way it should be.

Anything less, needs an answer as to why, and what you are going to do about it.
    amdeist Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

May 26, 2009, 10:02 PM

What you are missing in your family is love. You need to shut off the television and the video games and start spending time with your wife and kids. I have been married 41 years, and not a day goes by that I don't kiss my wife and tell her I love her. Even though I don't believe in love (instead, I believe in tolerance, acceptance, sacrifice, compromise, etc), people need to be stroked on a regular basis. I learned a long time ago that evil begets evil and love begets love. When is the last time you told your wife you love her? When is the last time you showed an interest in your children's education, or did something with them. When my wife and I were stationed in Germany, instead of taking family trips all the time, we planned a trip with each of our three children individually one-on-one. It was a great learning experience. Instead of planning more time at work, plan more time one on one with each member of your family. Life isn't about things or money, its about family and relationships.
    Alyeska Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Jun 1, 2009, 07:21 PM

Gather the whole family around the table, with no distractions. Talk to them and let them know what you feel about this life in recent times. Consider marriage counceling.
    Happy birthday!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 07:40 PM

How often do you and your wife go out for a date, you should at least twice a month, more if possible.

Are you having a faamily night at least once a week, playing some game, even a movie for everyone and pop corn and more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

I never thought it would end up this way [ 5 Answers ]

Well I am about to wright something down on a site I barely know what I want most in this world. Everything I want if its juicy couture or dolce or anything in the world I can get but there is still something missing. OK I have never said this before to anyone in the world here's the story. I am in...

Thought for the day. [ 15 Answers ]

Entering into a relationship is like buying a pair of shoes!! There are loads to chose from, all different colours and sizes. You find a pair that you think will fit, you try them on, there perfect, you couldn't be happier. But you find that the shoes do not fit like you hoped they...

View more questions Search