Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorijessica16 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Calculating [H3O+] and [OH-]
    At normal body temperature, 37 degrees Celsius, the value of Kw for water is 2.5 x 10^-14. Calculate [H3O+] and [OH-] at this temperature. Is pure water at 37 degrees Celsius acidic, neutral or basic?

I was told that this was a complicated ques. Since they only give you Kw (2.5 x 10^-14)
    But the answer in my book says...
    [H3O+] = [OH-]= 1.6 x 10^-7
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 08:28 PM

It's not a complicated question.

The product of [H3O+] and [OH-] will always equal the Kw at the temperature specified. Most often, we use 1 x 10^-14 as the Kw. That's probably at room temperature.

This is the equilibrium:

I'm sure you see that for every hydrogen ion (hydronium ion) that is produced a hydroxide ion is also produced. Hence, it's neutral. Also, the concentrations of the two species will be the same. Therefore water is "neutral" -- neither acidic nor basic.

The concentration of either ion is

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating EER [ 4 Answers ]

How do I calculate, step-by-step, my EER. 354-(6.91x43) + 1.00 x (9.36x84.1 + 726x1.68)... I keep coming up with weird answers that I know aren't right. Thank you - T

Calculating NPV [ 2 Answers ]

How do I calculate the net present value. Problem: Lump Sum Payment of $500,000 Needs to be grossed up 35% for taxes Paid out over 5 years @ annual interest rate of 4% What would the monthly payout amount be over 60 months?

Calculating NPV [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this site and hope that there is someone out there who can help me. I have to calcualte NPV for a project that has no specific inflows and I don't know where to start, any help will be appreciated. Regards Sian:

View more questions Search