Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    porphyriax Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 03:43 PM
    How many junction boxes?
    Hi,
    Is it OK and safe to run a wire from the panel up to a junction box in the attic that runs wires to two rooms on one side of the house and then run a wire from that junction box to another junction box on the other side of the attic and power another room from that box?

Basically,
    Is it OK to run from one juction box to another and have wires come out of both to power rooms?

Thanks,
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 24, 2009, 03:45 PM
    Yes it is OK to do, but why? Just run from box to box, room to room.
    Why bother with j-boxes at all?
    Bentzle Posts: 28, Reputation: 6

May 24, 2009, 04:02 PM
    It is OK to have a junction box in an accessible location in the attic. What you have to take in consideration is the load that will be on the total circuit for each room. You may want to run a single 3 wire with ground (red, black, white & green wires) from the panel box to the attic and run each room off a separate breaker. Room 1 can can use the red and white wires. Room 2 can use the black and the same common white wire. The green wire is the ground.

In the panel box the red wire would connect to circuit breaker to feed room 1. The black wire would connect to a separate circuit breaker to feed room 2. The white and green wires connect to the ground bar. Size of breaker and wire to be determined by load on circuits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical- conduits and junction boxes [ 1 Answers ]

How many feet can I run (EMT)conduit straight before I have to use a junction box. Canadian Electrical Code.

Junction boxes [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings all, Is there any provision in the NEC that bans the use of junction boxes from use on the first floor of a residence? I've read through Article 314 and can't find any such limitation. Is there any exclusion that you know of?

Another Junction Box ? [ 9 Answers ]

Again, thanks to everyone for all their valuable information as I wire up my Recording Studio addition. :) You guys are great! ;) I have another question reference the use of Junction boxes. On a couple of my framed walls, where I wired in outlets, some of the outlets (for like Exit Signs) are...

Junction Boxes [ 2 Answers ]

Can I connect a "constant" power source to a "switch controlled" power source in the same junction box? I am putting power to the deck at the rear of my house. One line ( "switch controlled " ) is for the lights, and the " constant power ", is for a GFI, as I don't want to have the GFI tied...

Junction boxes in attic: can be facing up? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. Can junctions boxes in an attic be facing up? Or do they need to be secured on their side, secured to a ledger board or something. Thanks! Also, is there an online source for the NEC? Thanks again.

View more questions Search