Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beenasabnis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2004, 06:12 AM
    Studies in marine biology
    Hi,
    My daughter is presently studying in 12th grade in india.
    She is very much interested in marine biology. She has a tremendous liking for the waterworld, dolphins etc and wants to build up her career in the same field.
    Kindlyl let me know the scope for the same and if there is any career in the line which can have monetary benefits too. Also guide me with the colleges/universities abroad where she can study and what will be the approximate expenses for the same and also the time.
    Thanks in advance for an early reply
    Beena
    panchan114 Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Apr 16, 2007, 12:29 PM
    I want to do marine biology also and I'm 18 in the 12th grade. For marine biology fields that are related you can try marine physical biology, ecology, Aqauculture and fisheries,marine environmental science, or oceanography. For schools abroad , in America there's the University of Maine were you can get a bachelors of science in biology with a concentration in marine biology or marine physical science, Florida memorial college were you could get a bachelors of science in marine biology, Florida institute of technology were you could get a bachelors of science in marine biology,Duke university( masters degree program in science with concentration in marine biology),university of Kentucky bachelors program in marine biology. You can also try and look up schools in the caribbeans, Australia and other places. Hope this helps if you have any more questions just post a comment. Oh! These schools cost around $20,000-40,000+, however you can apply for financial aid called FAFSA. I forgot the website just type in fasfa in the search engine.all the fields will take 4 years for a bachelors and 2-3 years for a masters. If you become a marine biologist you will make 60,000 a year or 90,000-100,000+ if you're a professor,aquaculturist and fisherist make 81,000 or more, 60,000-100,000 for everything else. For research which deals with animals you will need a masters or phd. Masters mainly. I recommend that you get a bchelors first see if you like the job and if you do get the masters with resarch positions you can travel so you can meet and work with diffferent animals. She can also got to seacamps for teenagers 15-18 years of age which would be $400-$2000 for 4-6wks depends on the sessions look all over the internet for marine summer camps. Goodluck
    u08dc4 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

May 25, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Hi. I'm in my last year studying marine biology, the first thing I would say is that most marine biology degrees will not focus on dolphins or any of the other really popular marine creatures, they will focus on the basics to start so don't let your daughter get disenhearted by all the plankton she will be studying. Britain has a number of excellent marine biology programs which offer a different type of course to the American ones, there are also some good courses in Australia. The position of the university will determine the lecturers own areas of interest, so Australia is more likely to focus on reefs where as Aberdeen (UK) focuses on bottlenose dolphins and salmonids.
    Lectureships in Marine biology can range from £20,000 to £45,000 in the UK, this is for a lecturer who will probably have a PhD. Governmental jobs often pay more, where as research
    For conservation pays less.

Hope that helps. It's a great degree!
    Moana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by beenasabnis
    hi,
    my daughter is presently studying in 12th grade in india.
    she is very much interested in marine biology. she has a tremendous liking for the waterworld, dolphins etc and wants to build up her career in the same field.
    kindlyl let me know the scope for the same and if there is any career in the line which can have monetary benefits too. also guide me with the colleges/universities abroad where she can study and what will be the approximate expenses for the same and also the time period.
    thanks in advance for an early reply
    beena

Hi,
    I read your message, and I was wondering how the story with your daughter ended up?
    I really hope that she pursued her dreams!
    You see, I was amazed by the ocean since I was a young girl. Studying dolphins and whales is still my biggest dream. I am 20 now and Im saving money to be able to pay my studies for marine biology. I live in Belgium but my dad and his family live in the US, so I think I should be able to get a green card, or have the permission to study over there...
    Anyway, let me know about your daughter!
    Thanks,
    Agaia
    shadow_princess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 02:22 PM

I am also striving to be a marine biologist and I'm studying marine science that's all I have for you.
    malu300 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 02:21 AM
    Do you have any suggestions for colleges that offer marine biology in India?
    lana9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2012, 12:27 AM
    I'm currently studying in 12th grade in India.I would like to know if a career in marine biology has good scopes here. Also if you could please suggest some colleges in India offering the course..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marine AC problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a self contained 6000 BTU marine ac that trips the circuit breaker about 2 seconds after the compressor kicks on. So far I've changed the compressor, the breaker,the hard start capacitor and sent the circuit boards out to be checked. If I disconnect the hard start capacitor from the...

Marine officer or enlisted man? [ 7 Answers ]

I need some advice from people who are not connected with just a recruitment office. My son is graduating in a few weeks from college with a degree in Arabic and Middle Eastern Politics. He studied in Egypt at the American University in Cairo, and worked in Morocco for a SUNY program in the...

Bearings in marine machinery [ 1 Answers ]

Kindly can any one give me details of types of bearings used in marine machinery

Marine law [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am doing my masters in southampton uk and ia m working on an assingnment on a collision case between the tricolor and kariba which took place in dec 2002 in english channel.please could you send them the links about the case study and insurance on the vessel and cargo...

View more questions Search