Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kcroach Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

May 24, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Can 2 bathrooms share one circuit?
    I know that according to the NEC, a bathroom circuit must be 20amp GFCI protected and can not power any outlets/lights outside of the bathroom. My question is, can two adjacent bathrooms (a full bath and half bath if it matters) share a single circuit under the code? If it is legal are the any practical reasons not to do this? I am remodeling an old house and for a variety of reasons sharing one circuit would be much easier.

Thank you.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 24, 2009, 02:31 PM
    The circuit you are referring to only applies to the receptacles.

The code is that IF the circuit is contained to just one bathroom, you can have everything in that one bathroom on the required 20A receptacle circuit. This includes lighting, and fans. Not anything that would require it's own circuit like electric heat.

If you run a 20A circuit just for the receptacle(s) in a bath, that same circuit can legally be shared with receptacles (only) in any/all baths in the house.
    kcroach Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

May 24, 2009, 09:34 PM

Ahh, thanks for the answer. I will wire each bathroom with a separate circuit. In my situation the sharing will not reduce the challenges of the remodel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Price/share and earnings/share [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new accounting student and I am trying to find out the Price/Earning Ratio. Can you please tell me what numbers in the Balance Sheet, Income Sheet, Statement Cash Flow that I would add to come up with both the Price/Share and the Earnings/Share. I know how many outstanding shares there are...

Leak in bathrooms [ 10 Answers ]

I was washing clothes and noticed a bubbling sound coming from the master bathroom. I noticed water standing around the bottom of the toilet all over the floor. I then noticed standing water in my shower about 1 and 1/2 inches deep. When I shut off the water to the toilet it seemed to start to...

Help with Stacked Bathrooms [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I live in an 800 square foot slab on grade home with 1 bathroom. I am adding a second story and including a bathroom and laundry room on the second floor. I positioned the bathroom by the main stack and the laundry further away. I intended for the toilet, sink, and tub and washing...

Two Bathrooms [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to install a second bathroom and want two showers to work at the same time. I am replacing all plumbing but there is only 15mm feed to flat. What type of boiler etc is needed to run two showers and washing machine at the same time?

View more questions Search