Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RonPrice Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Our New Home
    Do you like the way I have put this philosophical aspect of "Home?"

We have here a centre of gravity, some ideal of the rounded fullness of life in all its variety, a normality, a natural condition in which men can feel easy and at home. There is something trusted and familiar here, an inner battle but not a man divided against himself, or against others, or against nature. There is skepticism here, deep and pervasive, necessary, a collirium. There is a single doctrine, a coherent conceptual schema which explains life and offers solutions to the human condition in all its staggering complexity. We have here a high idealism. We have a new, richer, deeper form of collective self-knowledge of what men are and can be. It is a branching out in a new direction, tidy in some ways, messy in others, still hesitant. It is not random, haphazard or chaotic, but there is tragedy here and a solemnity beneath the joy. There are many burning issues, but within a framework of conception, of definition, of order, of choice. There is something complete and cogent, growing and illuminated by a half-light, formidable and massive, yet unobtrusive and a symptom of a basic sanity in our time. -Ron Price with apprecation to Roger Hausheer for his Introduction to Against the Current: Essays in the History of Ideas-Isaiah Berlin, Hogarth Press, London, 1979, pp.13-53.

Here is a vision so novel,
    so complex; here am I
    spellbound in its grip,
    in its constellation of forces,
    in its richly suggestive doors
    of perception, engendering
    a perspective for what is
    distinctive here, re-examining
    the bases of modernity and
    an underlying philosophy.

How can one sharply, succinctly,
    say what is distinctive here?
    Reason and revelation in an embrace
    the like of which the world has never seen.
    A vision of the world, unique, sublime,
    relative to our age, in the words of
    an incomparable, brilliant writer
    now witnessing the triumph of civility
    and we watch good men being made,
    albeit slowly, in institutions, at last,
    blessed, in a modern oasis
    amidst a sea of aridity, imprecision,
    suspicion, technical virtuosity, conformity,
    monotony, military-industrial complexes,
    bureaucracy and a craving
    for a new Gemeinschaft.

The crooked timber of humanity
    is being made straight before our eyes
    in an amazingly complex process
    while the heavy weight of recent
    centuries of nationalism at last
    is loosened while we find a true
    international friend in our home.

Ron Price
    1 December 1995
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2006, 09:18 PM
    Overly optimistic globalist. Only Devine intervention and order will achieve the dream.
    RonPrice Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Yes, I think you are right, magprob.-Ron

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

New home [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to move into a new home and would like advice about what I should do in terms of helpful hints Ex. Like the garage floor is bare concrete so I am thinking about painting it with that epoxy stuf that I got from the home depot to make it smother and look better and we are planing on...

I want him to come home so bad... we both want that [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live with my b/f. Currently he is in the states visiting friends and family. His best friend died suddenly, my b/f was at his best friends side. He was to come home then(1 month ago) , but his son (20) has come into some hardship (lost his job), so my b/f has been helping him out finanally...

View more questions Search