Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annebaloon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 01:28 AM
    Starvation Mode
    Hello!
    I came hear to ask for some advice, if possible;)

I am 23 years old and have been struggling with eating disorders since my 16 when I had anorexia. When I was 18 I started eating 1200 calories a day and got better, didn`t gain muc weight and everything was doing fine. In 2 years time, I started gaining weight from nothing (I was eating the same way, very healthy). So, I decided to eat less in order to lose weight. Even more with the time. I ended up eating just 600 calories for 11 months last year (I was 116 lbs) until now, April 9th when I decided be healthy. I searched on the net and found out that I was in starvation mode. I started eating 1400 calories per day, 4-5 meals a day, 30 minutes walking per day and lifting weights for 15 minutes on my arm every 2 days. Today, 24th of may (43 days after) I am 8 lbs more then when I started my recovery, my clothes don't fit anymore and I am really sad... Please, I just would like some advice, do you think I am doing right? If not, what I am doing wrong? It is taking so long to stop losing weight, I am really sad...
    Some information: I am 5'4'' 124 lbs , 23 years old, small frame
    Thank you very much for your time!

May 24, 2009, 01:31 AM
    Sorry, I typed it wrong! '' it is taking so long to stop gaining weight... ''
    :)
    devilsgirl14 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Hey. I'm younger then u (by few years) but sort of no what you are going though. Last year I stopped eating (not completely because of parents) but ate a lot less. Eventually my friends found out and made me stop starving myself. I was just tired of being called fat and feeling so self conscience. I don't no you reason but no reason is good enough to not eat. I'm not going to pretend to no everything there is to no about anorexia or starvation or you. But u ARE on the right path by gaining weight. There is a different between eating healthily and starvation. As long as you don't gain like 20 pounds you are good. Just keep healthy and if you are ever concerned about weight just eat more greens and work out. But no matter what do not starve yourself and remember you are always beautiful no matter what
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 25, 2009, 03:58 PM
    If you have not, you need to seek counseling. Anorexia is a debilitating disorder that can lead to death. But I'm sure you know that already.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 04:32 PM

You are obsessed with counting calories and weight and that is abnormal.
    It is something that a trained therapist needs to help you with.
    Please seek help.

May 26, 2009, 01:04 AM
    Thank you very much for the replies!! ;)
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2009, 11:03 AM

Weight is a number. One that no one knows unless you tell them. Speaking as a guy, someone as small as your is intimidating because I would be afraid to break you.

You are exercising and (presumably) eating healthy. Throw your scale away. Its helping no one.

I agree with the others - you still suffer from an eating disorder and you should get treatment for that. As for your weight... if you are sold on being thinner... exercise more. And eat more. Your body needs fuel to run. You will frequently hear someone told that they are not eating enough. You will rarely hear them told that they are exercising too much.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 26, 2009, 11:35 AM
    No matter how little you eat, your body NEEDS food. If you starve yourself and count calories, your body is going to hold on to every little calorie, thus gaining weight. To maintain a proper proportion, you must eat healthy several times a day.

Anorexia, and yes, this is what you have by your own description, is deadly. If you don't eat enough, your body begins to "eat" your muscles, including your heart. You will die if you keep up this way.

I am assuming you are too young to remember Karen Carpenter, but this is how she died. How about Tracey Gold?

Anorexia is a mental illness that needs treatment, sometimes inpatient treatment to live.

Please get some help ASAP.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 07:51 AM

The others are right starving is not the answer to losing weight. Your body goes into starvation mode and then it has a reverse affect because it starts storing food which in essence is storing FAT.

Cut out junk foods, processed foods, fast foods. Eat good healthy home cooked foods.

Even many of the so called health food bars are not good. You have to read the ingredients.
    The more ingredients on the food container the less healthy it is for you and the more likely it is to pack on the weight. Many foods contain excitotoxins such as message and other ingredients that cause you to gain weight.

Eating lots of fruits and vegetables and home cooked meals and not over eating or eating the wrong foods is the best way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starvation mode [ 3 Answers ]

Help!! I'm in starvation mode. I severely reduced my calorie intake to under600cals. I have been eating 600cals for ages, lost a little weight, but found that I compensated with little cals by binging. Now if I eat a little more than 600cals I gain weight. What should I do??

How to get out of starvation mode? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been in starvation mode 8-9months now and I;ve been working on getting out for 2months. In the beginning I was only eating 700-900 calories a day and exercising 2 hours a day. I've been trying to get out of starvation mode by eating 1200-1500 clories a day and exercising only 20-30 minutes. I...

Length of starvation mode. [ 4 Answers ]

How long does starvation mode last for?

Starvation Mode [ 4 Answers ]

Can eating a few grapes every three hours and then eating a normal meal for dinner cause starvation mode to kick in?

Starvation Mode [ 3 Answers ]

How long does it take for your body to go into starvation mode?

View more questions Search