Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmarsha Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

May 23, 2009, 06:47 PM
    What are these tiny looking shiney specs on my sheets?
    I was ironing my bed sheets last night and I noticed some shiny looking specs on them that kind of resembled glitter looking at them with the naked eye but then I got my tape roller and got some off and looked at them under a magnifier and it definitely wasn't glitter. It looked like some type of mite reddish blonde looking in color and also some of it sort of resembled maybe some type of eggs. Is there any thing that you can think of that this sounds like?
    mmarsha
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 24, 2009, 02:30 AM
    Where do you live, Mmarsha? From your other questions I'm assuming someplace semi-tropical or warmer.

Is there any way you can post a picture? Right now I'm guessing Clover, Strawberry, or Spider Mites but those are what the military call WAGS (Wild A**ed Guesses)
    cmfundi Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 03:31 AM
    Could be pubic lice nits (eggs). Ironing will get rid of them. Do other people use your bed?

May 24, 2009, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Where do you live, Mmarsha? From your other questions I'm assuming someplace semi-tropical or warmer.

Is there any way you can post a picture? Right now I'm guessing Clover, Strawberry, or Spider Mites but those are what the military call WAGS (Wild A**ed Guesses)
    Catsmine, I live in Tennessee on a farm that is over 200 years old. There are lots of cows and hay and I have cats and dogs but they stay outside. The river is just behind my house, like a couple 100 ft. I have a garden and I live by myself and to answer the other persons question, No, no one else has been in my bed but me and I know what lice bugs and eggs look like this is not it. Catsmine the house I live in is a stone house, one of only a few that was ever made. The stone is river rock. My inside walls are pretty much the same as they were 2 hundred years ago, except for one and it has sheet rock walls, the downstairs is still stone and old fashioned mortar, which is of course mud. My problems with these bugs didn't start till last year?? So it looks like if the house it self were the problem that I would have been infected the whole 4 years that I have lived here. This house is awesome, I mean it's like a historic landmark and it's beautiful and I don't want to move and neither can I afford to at this point. I spend every extra cent I get on trying to get rid of what ever this is. I am beginning to wonder if I don't have several different things going on?? Terminex has something that they say freezes bed bugs and mites. Have you ever heard of any thing like this? I am wondering how effective it really is?? I hope this info will help you to answer my question about those shiny specs that must be some type of mite. I am very rarely seeing those black specs now. Do you think it may be possible that those specs may be the mite that has been eating me up in its larvae stage? Yes, I'm grasping. I appreciate any info you can give. Thank you
    mmarsha
    Pest Control Expert

May 25, 2009, 01:52 AM
    Do these things look anything like this?

Image Search Results

As far as freezing bedbugs, some companies have reported success with those techniques, but I don't think they're bedbugs from your descriptions and I don't know what effect quick freezes will have on them.

Tennessee has exceptional Entomologists at both UT and Vanderbilt. Is there any way to capture some of these and get them over there for identification? Knoxville and Nashville aren't convenient to about half the state, but the county extension agent should have a direct line.

May 25, 2009, 01:07 PM
    Do these things look anything like this?

Image Search Results

As far as freezing bedbugs, some companies have reported success with those techniques, but I don't think they're bedbugs from your descriptions and I don't know what effect quick freezes will have on them.

Tennessee has exceptional Entomologists at both UT and Vanderbilt. Is there any way to capture some of these and get them over there for identification? Knoxville and Nashville aren't convenient to about half the state, but the county extension agent should have a direct line.
    http://www.zi.ku.dk/popecol/webbio/S...der%20mite.jpg , Catsmine this is what it looks like. I can't be 100% but if it's not it is something very similar. I have went to the local farm co op and they lost my specimen twice and the other time I went the man there said he didn't know? I have been trying to reach him to ask them if they still have it and if they do to send it off. I think they think I am crazy because I have been down there so many times?? If that is what this is should I just hang with your other advise on previous post. I will definitely try to contact the farm co op again.
    Thank you for your help.
    mmarsha
    Pest Control Expert

May 25, 2009, 01:41 PM
    That looks like a psocid nymph. Psocids can cause a dermatitis type rash from their tiny hooked feet. They normally require a high moisture area to breed and a source of starch/gelatin for food. They are quite often found in unused books, hence the common name "booklice." Control is normally a matter of dehumidifying the infested area.

http://www.goodsearch.com/SearchImag...words=booklice
    Pest Control Expert

May 25, 2009, 01:49 PM
    As far as the farm co-op guy, see if he has a secretary that can actually get your sample from the desk to the mailbox, preferably with an address on it. These guys spend all day trying to figure out why the soybeans won't grow in one field but do fine in the next one. An entomologist at a co-op office is very rare. Forgive the sarcasm, but I've dealt with TN Co-op service.

May 25, 2009, 09:25 PM
    As far as the farm co-op guy, see if he has a secretary that can actually get your sample from the desk to the mailbox, preferably with an address on it. These guys spend all day trying to figure out why the soybeans won't grow in one field but do fine in the next one. An entomologist at a co-op office is very rare. Forgive the sarcasm, but I've dealt with TN Co-op service.
    Catsmine,
    Thank you again, and the sarcasm is completley understandable:rolleyes: they drive me crazy too.
    Mmarsha
    Pest Control Expert

May 26, 2009, 02:04 AM
    You're more than welcome. Get back to me when you have an identification and we can discuss control measures better.

May 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
    You're more than welcome. Get back to me when you have an identification and we can discuss control measures better.
    Thanks
    mmarsha

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tiny bugs, look like a tiny brain [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, It is that time of year again and those brain bugs are back. They fly, are kind of grey and don't seem to do much. They are around my bay windows and other sills, one on a wall here and there but not as much as the Bay. I was told once they might be sill bugs. Have no idea where they come...

New PC specs [ 10 Answers ]

Seahawk83 and Scottgem, et al, let me have your input. Dell took back the Inspiron530s and the graphics card that did not work. I am going to order another Dell when the credit for the returns go through. I am still computer illiterate but gained a lot of knowledge from you two and others....

Wiring specs [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to run an electrical wire to power a 5 ton central air - 220/40 volts - 40 amps. Its length is approxaimately 60 feet from the panel - what type /wire gauge do I need?

Tiny tiny bumps [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I am a virgin and have never done anything more than kissing.. I am only 15. I have kissed a person who is sexually active which is why I am worrying about this so much, that's was five months ago I would say. I was just browsing YouTube and stumbled across a herpes film. I got worried...

View more questions Search