Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 05:15 PM
    Did you finish doing that yet? Below, is an example that you can follow.

John T. Smith
    1234 Cherry Lane
    Smithown, OH 12345-3546
    468.321.7896 [email protected]
    payasa14 Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 05:19 PM

Yes I'm done.
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 05:25 PM

Now, using highlighting of the text with your cursor, we're going to set up the font style and size. Also, italicizing your name is okay.

I would suggest the font of Arial because it's easy to read. Times New Roman, is very friendly and warm, but we want to make sure that everything that you write is very legible.

I would set your name at a 16 point font and the rest below that at 14 point.

Please let me know if you need help with finding how to format the font and the size.

Okay?

May 23, 2009, 05:31 PM

OK I'm done
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 05:36 PM

Okay, GREAT!

I'm going to need to be leaving here momentarily, because a friend coming to take me to a concert at a nearby college.

With that first example of what you've done for a job, I'd like you to list other jobs the same way. You think of as many action words that you can for the beginning of the sentences. For example: interfaced, worked, accomplished, established, helped, etc.

What and how you've done in school can also be in your resume.

Have you done any extracurricular activities and are you still in school?

Thanks!

May 23, 2009, 05:40 PM

In high school I was in a club that helps around the school. I was on honor roll but other then that nothing. Okay yeah that's fine all your help is greatly apprectiated! Thank you for everything!
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 05:45 PM

I got to go, now! Sorry! My friend is here. I would love work with you on this at another time, soon!

I'm usually on here late at night, after around 10:30. But, tomorrow, I need to get up to play for church.

If you know your typing speed and ten-key speed, that's something that you can also put on the bottom of your resume.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 08:39 PM

Hi again, payasa14!

I'm back from the concert and am going to be staying at a friend's home for the night. I just wanted to mention some other things for you to think about.

If you need a resume in order to apply for the job, you should probably also put together a cover letter to send or give with the resume. We can also work on that. I've written lots of them.

Concerning the company to which you're applying, if I were you, I would suggest finding out as much information about them that you can, and what specifically they do, so that you can be best prepared for an interview and be able to speak about the company as an informed and interested person. You'll look better to them that way.

What did the club do that helped around school?

What was your grade point average in high school? You said that you were on the honor roll.

Have you ever lead a group of people for a common purpose or goal of some kind? That can also be something that can be mentioned on a resume.

Have you ever been a volunteer for things? If so, what, please?

Have you ever tested your clerical skills at a temp agency? If not, that would be something that you might consider doing. To my knowledge, it's free and you would then have documentation that would be proof of how you can do some things that are clerical.

Do you have any written references/letters of recommendation from any former employers? If not, then I would suggest getting some and also ask others if they would be willing to provide a verbal reference for you if a potential employer asks you.

We're trying to "beef-up" your resume here and also make you look as good as possible to a potential employer. Things need to be informative, legible, precise, concise and clear!

I will definitely be back on here tomorrow night after 10:00 P.M.

Thanks!

May 23, 2009, 08:48 PM

Yeah I was thinking of doing a cover letter. The club that I was in helped organize games. Did a cancer show, set up a little history place on cinco de mayo and martin luther king day. Yeah I volenteered to gather food to give to the food banks. But yeah okay ill be on tomorrow too.
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 08:55 PM

I just noticed that you appeared here. I do need to go. You're starting to open up like a book, and that's great!

Anything that you and/or we can think of as far as what you've done with your life would be good as possibilities for your resume and also the cover letter.

Please do some research on the company and what they do. I would suggest to even go so far as going in to them to see if they have any literature and/or forms that they give to people. You wouldn't need to say that you were looking for a job, but are interested in what they have to offer potential customers.

Please look over carefully what I've written in post number 28 and answer the questions, if you will. If you might not want to post your grade point average, then please let me know what the range was for you to be on the honor roll.

You are totally anonymous here though. So, not much to worry about.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 08:57 PM
    I just thought of something else, and that would be, please be sure to find out the first and last names of anyone to whom you will be submitting any documentation about yourself.

If you submit documents to exactly the right people, that will also help you to look good in their eyes.

It's a personal touch...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2009, 09:06 PM
    The job is more important than the place and dates, so emphasize that. Be concise when listing tasks.

Waitress/Cook, Pizza Hut, Town (08/06-08/07)
    * Took customer orders by phone and in person
    * Regularly and effectively interfaced with customers
    * Regularly handled cash
    * Made drinks
    * Delivered pizza to customers' homes
    * Enjoyed working as a team member
    * Provided excellent customer service
    Uber Member

May 24, 2009, 09:15 PM
    Good points there, Wondergirl! I was going to get around to the possibility of using some kind of bulleting.

payasa14, if you're online and want to, I'm available and would enjoy working with you on this again!

Thanks!

May 24, 2009, 09:32 PM

I'm not at home rite now so don't have a computer to open up my resume.
    Uber Member

May 24, 2009, 09:35 PM

That's okay! I was just checking. We could work on some things for a cover letter, that is, if you have the time now?

What are you using right now to communicate here, please?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

May 26, 2009, 01:35 AM

Hi, payasa14!

I'm just wondering how you're doing and looking forward to working further with you on this project!

Thanks!

May 26, 2009, 01:43 AM

Well I was looking for info like you said but there website don't have much on it and they have no kind of bOoklets but like what kind of stuff I'm I looking to put on there.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2009, 01:49 AM

What specifically are you looking to put on it, please?

May 26, 2009, 08:07 AM

Hmm I really don't know. Do I have to have stuff about the company? I thought it was only when you went to the interview. How should my resume be listed. I know objective should be the very first thing but does it matter in what order everything else is in?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 26, 2009, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by payasa14 View Post
    Hmm I really don't know. Do I have to have stuff about the company? I thought it was only when you went to the interview. How should my resume be listed. I know objective should be the very first thing but does it matter in what order everything else is in?
    The current thinking is that the Objective section is NOT necessary. Instead, there should be sections that tells about Skills and Abilities and/or Accomplishments. Think about what skills you have -- customer service, computers, working on a team or working independently, knowing a language such as Spanish. What accomplishments do you have under your belt? -- have you created a useful filing system for an employer, have you saved a company money by shortcutting a task, have you been able to resolve customer problems when no one else could, etc.

The order of a resume --
    Accomplishments
    Skills & Abilities
    Work History
    Education
    Special Training (may need to be listed before Education if it happened recently)

Yes, you need to read up on the company, not only for the interview, but also for the cover letter. You want them to think you are very interested in their company. Your local public library will have info on the company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I just want to know p are in writing minutes and what really writing [ 3 Answers ]

I just want to know the procedures in writing minutes and what really entails in writing minutes.

Writing Comments on Resume [ 5 Answers ]

Is it OK to write comments on a resume during an interview? I don't see a problem with it but an HR person here has serious issues with it. I personally think she's off a bit - tried to turn a ? On the page into "they can say you are racist if they are a minority from that question mark". And I...

I need resume help, please! [ 3 Answers ]

All right well this year I'm a senior, and I want to go to school for radiology. But the problem is... im not really sure on how to write a resume. And that's the only thing stopping me from starting my applications. I already have my letters of recommendation... but they need a resume and I don't...

About Resume Writing [ 1 Answers ]

I Have done A course in FAshion Designing and looking for a job as a fresher , kindly teell how do I make my resume attractive.

Writing a Resume [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Consultant, Please could you advice me on the best method of preparing a resume

View more questions Search