Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pharris119 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 01:02 PM
    Pouring concrete next to existing concrete
    I have a set of concrete stairs, 4 steps, that I want to widen. My question is does anything have to be done to where new concrete meets existing concrete, or should I just drill into it and extend rebar into new form ?
    Also, I intend on topping new and old stairs with pavers. The old stairs are not quite level and true, can I built them up level with new stairs with the "thinset"? That I intend to use to set the pavers ?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 12:10 AM

Normally this is not done this way. How much in width are you adding?

If the old stairs are not quite level and true and this is a result of the steps leaning back into the house then need to re do the whole step system.

Once they start to lean back its pretty much a goner in time.

So many steps start to lean back in time because of the backfill against the house wall and or no rebar was used to pin the back of the steps.

The other reason this happens a lot is because the ground thaws quicker against the house and the front it still frozen and heaves pushing up in the front and sinking in the back little by little over the years.

If your scenario is above then redo the whole step.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interior concrete floors over the existing concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

Can you put an interior decorative concrete floor over an existing concrete slab that now is carpeted

Pouring concrete over a concrete front porch [ 1 Answers ]

Our front porch has dropped about and inch and a half on the back edge--where the front door is. We would like to pour concrete to level the porch and bring it up an inch or so on the door edge, and maybe 1/2 or 1/4 inch on the front edge. Then we would like to place porcelain tile on the porch....

Concrete Stain on EXISTING concrete [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Professionals! I have a large back yard patio that was laid with concrete during the building phase (1995). The concrete was colored during the pour. To date, the concrete is FADED (I live in Phoenix Arizona and the sun is BRUTAL!! ). I need to re-color the concrete deck and don't know...

Pouring Concrete Slap over Concrete piers [ 1 Answers ]

I drew a fairly detailed drawing of the slab that I wanted, with the piers (flagpole support piers, with pipes down to put poles into) shown so they could do it all in one pour. Well, I guess our general contractor cannot read the drawings because all I got were the piers with the metal in them. ...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

View more questions Search