Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 10:44 AM
    Are termite stakes any good?
    I have evidence of termites in my vacation cabin in NC. I have been told that termite stakes are pretty effective means of combating termites. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what brands of termite stakes are the most powerful. I am more concerned with the effectiveness than the price. Thanks for any imput.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 23, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Termite Baiting can be a very effective means of eliminating Subterranean Termites. The trouble with the DIY products is that most homeowners don't read the directons. The original baiting programs were designed to be monitored monthly and treatments modified according to results, adding stations, replenishing bait, moving stations, etc. The DIY products have tried various ways to minimize the labor involved in monitoring the termite treatment, with varying degrees of success.

If you have already found signs of termites in your structure, you need to be aware that the termites eating your house are going to be the last ones eliminated by the bait. They've already got a food source, why switch? That doesn't address the issue of damage already done, although to be fair most exterminators won't either.

With all of these cautions carefully considered and an admonishment that Fipronil soil treatments and Borate wall treatments are faster and are warrenteed by the applicator for 10 years (required by NC state law), the most effective DIY product I have worked with is Spectracide's Terminate@ bait stakes, IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER!
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Termite Baiting can be a very effective means of eliminating Subterranean Termites. The trouble with the DIY products is that most homeowners don't read the directons. The original baiting programs were designed to be monitored monthly and treatments modified according to results, adding stations, replenishing bait, moving stations, etc. The DIY products have tried various ways to minimize the labor involved in monitoring the termite treatment, with varying degrees of success.

If you have already found signs of termites in your structure, you need to be aware that the termites eating your house are going to be the last ones eliminated by the bait. They've already got a food source, why switch? That doesn't address the issue of damage already done, although to be fair most exterminators won't either.

With all of these cautions carefully considered and an admonishment that Fipronil soil treatments and Borate wall treatments are faster and are warrenteed by the applicator for 10 years (required by NC state law), the most effective DIY product I have worked with is Spectracide's Terminate@ bait stakes, IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER!
    Thank you for your response. What you said about the termites already in the house being the last ones to be eliminated by bait stakes makes a lot of sense. So I am going to take your advice and have the pros come in. Thanks again.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 23, 2009, 01:14 PM
    That's what we're all about, isn't it? You're very welcome.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Survey stakes [ 3 Answers ]

Who can leagelly replace land survey stake?

Sweep stakes [ 1 Answers ]

I own a small business. I am considering retiring. I would like to see my business taken over by someone who has all of the proper education and training, but might never be financially able to afford such a venture. I would like to know who I would contact about possibly having my business...

View more questions Search