Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 08:33 PM
    Do veterans feel somewhat betrayed by the ungrateful?
    It being Memorial Day weekend , I'd like to thank our veterans for their dedicated service from the bottom of my heart. Being the son and grandson of veterans, I know how proud I am of my family for having served not only in the military, but having seen active duty. (I wanted to join myself, but had a crippling knee injury playing high school ball when I was 16). My grandfather was in a horse back machine gun troop in WWI, and my father fought in Korea. Back then things were different. The ENTIRE COUNTRY was behind our troops when we went to war. Starting with the war in Vietnam, and the first Persian Gulf war, as well as Iraq and Afganistan, things were, and are not so clear as to why,what,If... However our men and women have taken an oath , and are following direct orders from our Commander In Chief and are risking their lives for US, and this GREAT COUNTRY that we're so fortunate to live in. They're leaving their spouses, KIDS , parents, to go half way across the world to risk their lives, wearing heavy gear in a terrible climate, only to come home to, or hear on the news from, a certain percentage of United States' citizens disrespecting them and the causes that there are dying for. They are using the very freedom of speech that these brave men and women would lay their life down for to defend to insult them and our leaders. I would like to know from any veteran, in an anonymous forum, how they feel by this. I know it sickens ME, I simply can't imagine how I would feel having seen my buddies killed on a daily basis, only to come home to a cold reception. Not from all mind you, but even one is too many. Again, THANK YOU and GOD BLESS YOU ALL. If it weren't for brave soldiers like you all we would be speaking another language.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 28, 2009, 04:45 AM
    I know what you mean. Our local TV station's site had comments posted by some anti-military provocateur talking about how he refused to "worship" the military and would not "bow down" to any veteran. I replied that we went out and fought and some of us died so that he wouldn't have to bow to any man. I remember saying that a thank you would be nice but we went and continued to go anyway, and he replied that that was "a typical you-owe-me attitude." I got steamed.

BTW, you're welcome.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    only to come home to, or hear on the news from, a certain percentage of United States' citizens disrespecting them and the causes that they're are dying for. They are using the very freedom of speech that these brave men and women would lay their life down for to defend to insult them and our leaders.
    Hello jm:

It you believe in the very freedom of speech you talk about, then you should celebrate the noise you hear, even if you disagree.

As a matter of fact, the fight is ABOUT letting the people who disagree with you have their say.

excon

PS> (edited) I see that I didn't answer your question. When I came back from Vietnam, the only time I was disrespected was by the COPS who beat me in the head because I was marching in a demonstration AGAINST the war. Yes, I was wearing my uniform... Those COPS didn't respect MY rights.

Don't YOU be like them.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Ex,

I absolutely do honor their right to speak their mind. I just wish they could be more civil about it.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 04:36 PM
    I do respect their opinion also. I just don't like someone who complains about the food when their mouth and belly are full.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 04:51 PM
    An old, old TV sitcom called "Major Dad" had it nailed perfectly. The Major's daughter wanted to do something extremely silly in her high school. The administration came down on her with both feet. The Major went to meet the principal and agreed it was possibly the silliest, stupidest thing he had ever heard of... "But, I swore an oath over twenty years ago to defend to the death her right to do it." Is there anything further to say?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I feel betrayed? [ 18 Answers ]

A little background info: My husband and I have tried a few things to spice things up and to explore things sexually (together). We have 1 couple that we have tried things with together. This past weekend we got together, we were going to bed (each couple had separate beds), I attempted...

How should I feel about this? I feel betrayed and upset [ 13 Answers ]

Another thing, I just found out this morning. Ages I've been on my boyfriends Facebook on my phone to edit stuff for him (he knew about this) and gave me his password. He's changed it now though and I don't know it which is fine because he wants his privacy. However, now, I couldn't get on my own...

I feel like I just betrayed my good friend. [ 2 Answers ]

let me start by saying I am 15 1/2 and that my school is fillled with sluts. I was at a party and the guy my friend liked for 4 years started to dance with me, like freak with me, and I went along thinking it was all in good fun.. after a few drinks I got a little tipsy and started to really...

View more questions Search