Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bblair Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 03:05 PM
    11 Year Old is stealing from parents
    Hello, just recently my husband and I discovered my 11 year old daughter had stolen $435.00 from our bedroom. It was not in plain sight and after we discovered that she has taken 2 items from our room that were hers and she snuck them back so she could use them without our knowledge. I do not know what to do. I took her to the local probation department to have them talk with her and hopefully scare her. I just don't know what to do.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 22, 2009, 03:12 PM

Will she be repaying the money she stole? That's important in my opinion. She has to suffer consequences for her actions, not threats, but actual consequences.

I'd take away privileges, TV, computer, cell phone if she has one, and she can work off the money she stole, plus interest.

No special events until all the money is paid. When she gets home from school it's homework then work. Assign a dollar amount for each chore or job she does, keep track of it until it's paid off.

Weekends she can work 8 hours a day. After all, you had to work for the money, why shouldn't she?

Stealing is serious. She needs to know that everything she does has a consequence. Stress the fact that she's getting off easy this time, because stealing can lead to jail.

Good luck.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 02:50 PM

I would say when she wants something and you would have normally bought it tell her that you ''would have but you are short because of the $435.''
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 23, 2009, 03:06 PM
    I'm left wondering what an 11 year old needs with $435. Is there something more to the story?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2009, 03:14 PM

I agree with Altenweg on assigning an actual consequence is important. Whatever you decide, you must stick to it.

I have an 11 year old cousin that steals also. She's been doing this for a few years. The thing is my aunt never stuck to the punishments she decided on. So now the child doesn't take the idea of "punishment/consequences" seriously. The behavior continues and the whole family knows her as a thief.

Honestly I don't think it's so important as the amount that she stole; it's the fact that she took something that she wasn't supposed to.

My cousin stole a pack of gum and a candy bar from me when she was at my house a couple weeks ago. I don't care about the actual value because honestly we're only talking about $1 total for both items. But the point that I should be able to trust her and can't is a bigger concern to me. And in the same week she stole money and cigarettes from my parents' house. It won't stop unless she sees real consequences.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 24, 2009, 12:38 AM
    Do you have any idea what she spent all that money on? Is there anythign to show for it?

If there are actually pieces of clothing or jewellery etc. that had been bought with this money, I would either return them to the stores with her, or, donate them to the goodwill. She has to learn there is no value to stealing. Working for money to buy something she wants is an entirely different story.

11 years old is a little young to be out at the mall isn't it? I'm not sure about that, but I expect that she had friends with her. Was she buying things for her friends as well? If so, you need to contact those parents, get the items back, and make an impression that your daughter, and her friends, won't soon forget.

I totally agree with consequences, and I think you did a good thing taking her to see a probation officer. I hope he talked turkey.

But, without knowing what happened with the money, how it was spent, and with whom, for what purpose, it's hard to nail down the right consequence.

She needs to do more than just repay the money in my opinion. She needs to tell the whole truth from start to finish, and then accept the consequences for what she has done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have issues lying and stealing and my parents don't trust me now. [ 7 Answers ]

I have had a lot of trouble ying and stealing lately... I have been caught twice and I am addicted to lying, I just can't seem to stop. Does anyone know how to stop this?? I have such a hard time resisting the urge to lie or steal and can't seem to break the habit even though I really want to....

12 year old stealing [ 17 Answers ]

My son is 12 and in middle school. I received a phone call from the principle stating that my son had tried to spend $50 in the school lunch line and when asked about it he walked away and threw the money away. When confronted he came up with a story about being paid by an older kid. I took him...

What does 19 year old do when parents try to run her life? [ 5 Answers ]

I was gone all weekend with a friend. I just got home today and my parents said that they were going to drop the insurance on my car because I didn't go to work today. I was at my friends house. I don't know if I should move out or stay here.

I'm a 15 year old with divorced parents [ 3 Answers ]

My parents have been divorced since I was 2 years old& my brother was 7 years old. Ever since then, I've been living with my father because he has custody of the both of us. I don't know what kind of custody it is because I don't dare ask him about it. My dads not a very open person at all. Lately,...

18 year old - Car in Parents Name [ 7 Answers ]

I have a step-daughter who turns 18 tomorrow. The car she drives is currently in my husband's name, so we carry & PAY the insurance. She has pushed him to the point that since she's 18, he told her he would sign the car over to her, but that would require her putting insurance on it. Now that...

View more questions Search