Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zuckerj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 02:32 AM
    Cable Internet and TV
    Just curious... If I sign up for Cable Internet only, can I still just plug the Coax into my TV and get Cable channels too?

z.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2006, 03:11 AM
    Usually no. They use a special filter - or other apparatus - to separate the two.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2006, 04:26 AM
    The television broadcast and internet data run at separate frequencies. They simply disable the frequencies relate to the televison broadcasts.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2006, 05:29 AM
    Well it depends on the cable service. In most cases, they will block those frequencies. In others they may not bother figuring you won't think about it. But if they don't block, then the only thing you get is the unscrambled channels. For the premium channels you will need a settop box.
    zuckerj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Scott,

Thanks for the information. Is there any way to determine if your local Cable provider filters out the TV frequencies?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm tyring to determine the most cost effective route to provide Internet and TV. I don't need a landline telephone. Corrently I am already using DSL through a third party vendor (meaning they are leasing the lines from Verizon) requiring me the maintain a landline for the DSL service. I know there is something called a DRY LOOP that would circumvent the need for a landline in association to the DSL line, but Verizon would require that I be without internet connectivity for up to 1 MONTH! Before they could get it installed (Verizon won't even place the order until I cancel service with the third party, sinced it's on their leases lines and they can't start an order if I already have DSL service). Bunch of bull and red tape.

So, this leads to my second question (third if you're really paying attention):
    Does anyway have any feedback on the quality of the free Dynamic DNS service provided on the internet? Currntly I have DSL with a Static IP, and I host my own DNS, Mail Server, and WebServers out of my home. None of it is HIGH traffic, but since I do use it for my business email I need to make sure the use of DDNS is stable and efficient.

z.

Oh, and by the way, I have not ordered cable yet, and do not have service yet, so please do not say, "Just plug your TV into the cable." :-)

What I'm looking for is a list or other source of information that would be available to the likes of me prior to making an order decision.

z.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2006, 11:15 AM
    The only way to determine would be to plug the cable into your TV (by the way you would need a cable ready TV that can go above the 13 VHF channels). If it's a major multi-area cable provider, they probably do filter. If it's a smaller, local company, they may not.

But there is an ethical factor here. If you got the cable channels without paying, that could be considered theft of services.

As to your third question, that brings up another issue. Most residential broadband service contracts prohibit running a server. So you really should be looking for a business connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SER Cable [ 1 Answers ]

Is SER cable (0,0,0,2) direct bury, or must it be in conduit?

BX Cable [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for cutting BX armored cable without buying a special tool? I just have to cut two wires to tap into the line but am a little afraid of damaging the wires inside. Thanks. Dave.

Wireless/cable internet connection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have 2 issues. Now I am new to this, so please don't judge me. 1) I was recently by my friend with my laptop (has wireless connectivity). I was able to connect to the wireless modem - got an ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway - but, still couldn't connect to the internet. I...

Please help... Cable Internet Connection Not Working [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: I hope someone can help me with this. I know the basics of a computer and am trying to help my neighbor with their internet connection. They have a cable connection coming into their home. They have a computer on the first floor and one on the second both running Windows XP home...

Home Wireless network + Cable Internet [ 4 Answers ]

So cable internet finally got cheap enough here in Croatia, and I consider switching to it. I'm currently using a LAN of 3 computers, connected through a switch. I'm also considering switching to wireless network because I'll have to move the main computer to another room, which would cause me to...

View more questions Search