Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Paying Deposit to hold apt without signing a lease.
    My sister gave a landlord a deposit on an apartment to hold it for her. She has not signed a lease. She found a better deal elsewhere and asked for her deposit back. The deposit was given 2 weeks ago. When she asked for her deposit back they refused saying they haven't been able to show the apt. Are they allowed to keep her deposit when she hasn't signed a lease or even a hold agreement. She resides in Kansas. (Don't know if laws differ state to state)
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 06:55 AM

Of course they're allowed to keep it. Why would your sister even ask for it back? She asked them to hold an apartment for her - it's not their fault that she backed out.

Depending on the amount of the deposit, the landlord could even sue your sister for more if they can prove they lost money by not renting the apartment to someone else because they were holding it at your sister's request.

May 22, 2009, 10:56 AM
    Ok, the apt does not become available until July 1st. There is someone living in there already. So they are not losing out and still have over a month to rent it out to someone else before they lose out on anything at all. So does your answer still stay the same?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 11:25 AM

See, that's part of the problem. We can't give you a legally accurate answer if you're going to come back and say, "Oh, by the way..."

How much are we talking? A hundred or two, or a thousand?

When did she pay the deposit? When did she notify the landlord that she wouldn't be moving in? And yes, the landlord MAY have lost out because when they held the apartment for your sister, they turned away prospective tenants.

May 22, 2009, 11:46 AM

Sorry about that, this is my first time using this. She paid it two weeks ago, and she told her two days ago. She paid one months rent as is the normal deposit amount here ($425). Lives in a college town with a great location so will be easy to find another tenant before July 1st.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 22, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Generally a deposit to hold something is not refundable. Since the hold prevents the seller from trying to sell the item, a refundable deposit benefits the buyer only.

I'm assuming she got a receipt for the deposit. Does it say anything about being refundable or not?

The catch 22 to this the landlord has to mitigate damages. So, if the landlord does find another tenant to move in on July 1, then they have no reason to hold your daughter's deposit. So I would check to see if someone moves in on July 1, then ask for the deposit back.

P.S. in reference to the comment about giving us full info. We can only advise on what you tell us. So, you really should think about what is pertinent info to include in your initial post.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebes View Post
    Ok, the apt does not become available until July 1st. There is someone living in there already. So they are not losing out.
    Hello ebes:

You have NO idea how many people came by to rent the place on July 1st. That they turned away. Therefore, you don't know whether they are losing out or not.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting back apartment reservation deposit before signing lease [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the state of Connecticut. I have given $500 security deposit check to reserve an apartment unit but haven't yet moved in nor have I signed the lease yet. Recently I found out adverse online reviews about that apartment complex having been infested with bed bugs and management not being...

Deposit to hold an apartment [ 2 Answers ]

We live in Vermont a landlord agreed to rent to us we gave him a deposit to hold the house Now 4 days later he call and told me he got a lot of responses to his add and he now is going to rent to a family friend.Can he do that after he told us we had the rental and put down a hold deposit.thank you...

Apartment rental - cashing deposit before signing lease? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know if what has happened is legal or what not, but I am confused and when I go talk to them later this week I want to be able to sound informed and not... well as clueless as I am. I had applied and been approved for an apartment. We had agreed that I would be able to see the unit...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Deposit to hold an apartment [ 2 Answers ]

In CA, if a person gives a $650 deposit to hold an apartment in the beginning December with the intention of moving in on the first of Januaryand then decides that he doesn't want to move in after all and notifies the landlord on Dec 20th, is he entitled to any of the deposit? The landlord was not...

View more questions Search