Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sheila Eason Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Commercial Cleaning Company
    Hello;
    My sister and I have began the venture of opening a Commercial Cleaning Company. I was wondering if there might be some tips on getting contracts and or specialized equipment needed. If anyone is out there to help with some short cuts or good investments in the business to kick it off. We both are single raising a young child of our own. Have business minds; previous business owners. Looking forward to using this site!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 21, 2009, 11:10 PM

Hi, Sheila Eason!

If you'd like to know how to effectively place ads for free on the Internet, I would be glad to help you! Almost all of my new business comes from the free ads that I've placed concerning the various services that I can do for people.

We also have an Expert in commercial and residential cleaning on this site who goes by the name of Stringer.

I'll let him know about your post.

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

May 22, 2009, 12:34 AM

Thanks Clough... I would take any advice that this man offers...

Hi Sheila (Eason?)

Would you mind answering a few questions for me that will set the bar and we won't have to recreate 'the wheel?'

Are you incorporated?

Do you already have liability insurance?

Please tell me what part of the country (U.S. ) that you two are located (as cleaning situations are somewhat different in different parts of the climates in this country, as is the competitive nature)?

Can you tell me what exact experience that you or your sister have in the cleaning business? If none, please tell me why you choose the commercial cleaning business?

Please let me know the types of previous businesses that you owned? Did both of you own businesses? Please tell me if they failed and why?

If you would come back and answer these few questions we can interact and proceed to more exact questions and answers.

I think I may be able to help some, I have owned a commercial cleaning company for over 17 years in the competitive Chicago market that has annual sales of over $5.2M. And I have been in sales and management overall for over 40 years.

There is always a way Sheila, if you have the determination, willpower and are willing to work very hard; even in this economy. Please don't think that I am trying to be nosy with the above questions, the goal here is to help you achieve what you want, if I can...

Stringer

May 22, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Sounds like you have done quite well in the Cleaning business. We are looking to open busy in the Dallas/FtWorth area. I am south and my sister is north of area. With business growing it just seems to be what we are very interested in doing.

I have not set forth insurance yet; I am gathering information at this time. I would like to go forward with this soon however. My sister is employeed full time over 18years with her job. She is a director at Comcast cable Co. I have owned for several years mini storage facility and a convenience store. The store I recently sold; not as failed business. I have many years in ranching and still do this as well. I see where (I feel) like we can start a successful cleaning business and expand it quickly if we go into this correctly in the beginning.

Sounds like you are the right person to speak with...

Thank you in advance, 'looking forward to hearing from you'.
    Sheila
    Business Expert

May 22, 2009, 12:20 PM

Hello again Sheila,

Are you incorporated yet?

My ex lives in Dallas... hmmmm I hope she didn't change her name to... Sheila? And I use Comcast Cable for my computer connection.

So you still have the storage facility and you ranch? How much of your time each day does this demand from you?

So I am assuming that you have funds ($$) presently to start up a commercial cleaning business?

To increase your odds of being successful in this business it will require a lot of your time. There is a lot more involved that a mop and a bucket hon. I am not trying to be sarcastic just factual. I still eat, sleep and live this business...everyday.
    You have to have a passion for it, if you do, it will be good to you, if not, it may strike you down. Remember no matter how good you are, you will get some complaints. Always say 'Thank you for letting me know so that I may correct this immediately.' What is the alternative to arguing with them?

The time involved isn't just the time at night when the cleaning is being done normally. It requires prospecting for business, attending chamber meetings, seminars, trade show, etc to meet people, add sales and to enhance your success. Then when you get business, there is always customer service, invoicing, problem solving, purchasing, hiring, more sales (ABS; always be selling... if not you will not be successful.)and much more to do, which is usually handled during the day.

I guess what I am saying/asking here is; are you ready to put everything that you have into this venture including your time and your money to get started and be successful?

To answer one of your original questions...

Equipment; I suggest that you locate one or two local janitorial distributors in your area first. They also offer a lot of free training in techniques of proper cleaning. Along with many different seminars to advance your education in this business. Make friends with these people, you will benefit.

For example, just getting cleaning contracts to do the cleaning is leaving a lot of money 'on the table.' There are so many 'side items' that go along with the cleaning Sheila; cleaning the carpets, stripping and refinishing the VCT (hard floors), window cleaning, light fixture cleaning, wall cleaning, etc. These items add a lot of profit to any account. These things need done, why give that to any other company? Always be thinking...

Also many times the local distributors will have carpet cleaning machines, swing machines, automatic scrubbers, wet/dry vacs, many types of equipment that is 'used' that you can buy at a greatly reduced price. Many times these purchases are 'as is' and there are no warranties, you are on your own with this equipment. Or you can possibly purchase a warranty on this used equipment, which is generally expensive. My suggestion is to find a local repair guy that knows what he is doing and use him to repair the used equipment at a better price.

The equipment necessary for general nightly cleaning will vary from job to job however, mops, buckets, ringers, brooms (house and push), Brute Barrels, side bras (for Brute Barrel), floor vacuums, back pack vacuums (for detail vacuuming such as baseboards, under things, high vacuuming, etc), clean cloths, dusters, paper towels plus the proper cleaning chemicals. (A lot of companies want an MSDS Book stored in their facilities for protection with chemicals brought in from the cleaning company. This can be obtained from the distributor, a good reason to purchase the proper chemicals from them. Proper chemicals are safe, effective and actually do the job quicker than those purchased from the discount store.)

I would also suggest that you set up a "Log Book' in the client's building so that they can write down anything that they may want, have an issue with or a complaint. It enhances the communication (although I have always stopped in during the day to talk with my clients also, builds rapport.) but is not intended to be the only way to communicate... they must have a phone number where they can call you anytime of the day. You must check this Log Book daily or it will lose its' value. Do whatever is written in it, date it and SIGN IT, to show it is done. I also have my people leave a note on the 'contacts' desk that everything was completed. Even when we do the carpets or hard floors to show that they were done.

Do you know how to price a project?

Please return, answer these questions also and we can discuss this further.

Thanks,

Stringer

May 22, 2009, 01:56 PM

Stringer;

We have a another common denominator. I (we) were originally from IL. About 26 years ago. I was raised in a farming community south of Kankankee in a area called Limestone. I moved shortly after turning 18.

Regarding funds... yes I can fund some or most of the expenses. I am checking into a business grant however; if I qualify I do not see the point in spending money that our wonderful government would love to give away. I am prepared to spend focused time on this venture. The ranching really takes care of itself for the most part. Plus I hire a Mexican guy for additional stuff. The warehouses are very simple; there is very little time that goes into that. It is mostly bookkeeping on my end. There is someone at office for Customer service; short of complaints needing attention. Do you employee your people or are they 1099? What type of insurance do you hold?
    Regarding equipment I was considering craigs list; you never know what you'll find there.

Pricing of the project... NO I have no idea as of yet how to role.

Sheila
    Business Expert

May 22, 2009, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Eason View Post
    Stringer;

We have a another common denominator. I (we) were originally from IL. about 26 years ago. I was raised in a farming community south of Kankankee in a area called Limestone. I moved shortly after turning 18.

A good Illini Person...nice, do you miss it at all?

Regarding funds...yes I can fund some or most of the expenses. I am checking into a business grant however; if I qualify I do not see the point in spending money that our wonderful government would love to give away. I am prepared to spend focused time on this venture. The ranching really takes care of itself for the most part. Plus I hire a Mexican guy for additional stuff. The warehouses are very simple; there is very little time that goes into that. It is mostly bookkeeping on my end. There is someone at office for Customer service; short of complaints needing attention. Do you employee your people or are they 1099? What type of insurance do you hold?
    Regarding equipment I was considering craigs list; you never know what you'll find there.

I do not know about Texas hon, but here in Illinois, using sub-contractors as regular is under attack by the State, IDES Department. They want all workers to be regular tax withheld ...employees...They are fining companies thousands of dollars and while in the process they also audit other things....penalties and interest ! Big bucks....Almost all companies that fight this are losing...BIG Time here. We have only employees, the way to go in my humble opinion. There is a lot of pressure on now with the government...THEY need money to spend...(ya ours.) So they are going after companies both at state level and the big money grabbers.

All that is necessary is liability insurance and you can find this through almost any reputable insurance company. We carry $1M overall coverage. If a bid requires more you can purchase it for that particular job, the same with bonding...not necessary unless required by the prospect.

Pricing of the project....NO I have no idea as of yet how to role.Sheila, we can get into pricing in a short while, let's digest some of this first...ok?

Shelia, lets get into pricing and quoting a bit later...Ok? A lot to cover prior to getting new business at this moment, but if they break down your door and insist that you take their money...well...ha.

You probably will find some equipment on Craigslist hon....but....what you don't see...is what you get. We are talking some dollars here.

If you can get equipment from a local distributor it will most likely be rebuilt and ready to go, will it online? AND...a big...AND...you really need to establish a rapport with at least two local janitorial distributors hon....there is just a wealth of info and help there ! Trust me on this one...if you can get the used equipment from them...do it.

Sheila
    Stringer :)
    jehovajireh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 08:37 AM
    Hello :

My name is Carlos I have a painting bisiness , what really helped me is that I started looking on the intertnet , and came across some websites that really helped me, (servicemagic.com,mylocalpainter.com) these are just some, what they do is that they will charge $35 per lead(price is an example) and they send that lead to 2 other bussinesses and then you bid that job and hopefully get it.

There should be some websites that could send you leads for cleaning, try also craigslist.

Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial cleaning [ 4 Answers ]

Once I get them on the phone what should I say?

Commercial Cleaning Company [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell what is the best way to gain commercial building contracts. We are a company that is venturing into commercial cleaning services. We do offices, churches, clinincs, daycares, etc. We have been in this area for about 2 years and have some contracts but we need to grow faster.

View more questions Search