Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

May 21, 2009, 09:14 AM
    Mascara troubles!
    Okay I know I sound like an idiot but... I just started wearing makeup about a week ago. I know, pretty weird that I'm 25 and never wore makeup. Anyway.

I've been practicing this week, since I'm on vacation, putting it on and removing it. I like using it but I'm having a terrible time with mascara. I can't get it off without it taking an hour, and I have very sensitive eyes so even a tiny bit just kills me when it gets in my eye.

Someone at work said, "get a water-based one, not water-proof, or get a kind for sensitive eyes."

Having trouble finding the right kind. Does anyone here have a brand/type to suggest?

Also what is the quickest/most-painless way to remove it, from your experience?

*feels stupid*
    h_leann_b Posts: 247, Reputation: 35

May 21, 2009, 09:36 AM

Just don't get anything waterproof.

I use these Dove washcloth things. You just add a little water to it and it lathers up. Takes makeup off and cleans your face very well. Make sure not to rub really hard on your eyes, as this can lead to wrinkles. Be gentle, use warm water.
    lemonseed_97 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 11:55 PM

Hey franneh, I have very sensitive eyes also, and trouble with mascara. If your having problems with taking It off, don't use waterproof. I don't use waterproof mascara, and how I get It off is simply whiping a soft wash cloth with soap and water over my eyes while closing them. Sometimes you just have to use high dollar brands like covergirl or something. Neutragena is good for sensitive areas. (all types of they're makeup.) If your using Great Lash, don't. It's very bad for sensitive eyes, and has high tendacys for break outs/irratation. If you need to know anything else, just ask. :)
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

May 23, 2009, 12:50 PM

You should use a makeup remover or face cleanser that removes makeup. I use olay face cleansers and they work well. It can be very hard to remove eye makeup with out a makeup remover. You could also try using a
    q-tip to clean your eyes well
    MelanieMO Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 24, 2009, 01:35 AM
    I can think of two good options for you. First of all, if removing the mascara is the problem, try one of the newish ones that form "tubes" around your lashes. There's a pricey brand called Kiss Me (sold at Sephora,) but L'Oreal just came out with one too. I can't recall the exact name but it's Double Extend something. It's a two-part process; you apply the white primer first, then the mascara. When you go to remove it, just rub your lashes gently with warm water and it will come off easily in little pieces... no remover needed.

Or, if you like your current mascara and just need a gentle remover, try olive oil. It's really good for your skin and won't irritate your eyes. Anything oil-based would work, such as Vaseline, but olive oil is easier to remove with your regular cleanser afterward.

And you aren't weird. You don't have to wear makeup if you don't want to.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 24, 2009, 09:50 AM

Waterproof is the best I think as if your eyes water it won't run. I use LOreal High Definition.

A lot of people don't do this but I think it looks so much better... get a good, soft eyelier pencil as well.
    Draw it as close to your lashes as you can on your eyelid then smudge with a cue-tip... it makes your lashes look a lot fuller.
    (I personally HATE liquid eyeliner with a passion, it always looks tarty and overdone)

You can get some great make-up removing products, both creams and wipes that will get it off at the end of the day.

When applying, start as close to the base of your eyelashes as you can and drag outwards... do as few strokes as possible to avoid clumping and always put it on last (you don't want eyeshadow powder falling on it)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 25, 2009, 12:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by h_leann_b View Post
    Just dont get anything waterproof.

I use these Dove washcloth things. You just add a little water to it and it lathers up. Takes makeup off and cleans your face very well. Make sure not to rub really hard on your eyes, as this can lead to wrinkles. Be gentle, use warm water.
    Why not? Waterproof mascara is the best! It just takes a tear free eye makeup remover. Clinique has a great one.
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

May 25, 2009, 09:06 PM

Thank you all for your help! I seem to have found a routine that works for me. I have been using 2 maybelline mascaras, neither are waterproof. One is the lash stiletto kind and the other is that really fat one that's yellow and purple... can't remember the name.

I tried the facial cloths and they work great! But I thought I would add that since I get an employee discount on Kroger brand items since I work @ Kroger, I tried our store brand of facial cloths instead of dove, and I think they are awesome! The makeup comes off so easy with them, and they have a smooth side and a scrubby pad side. =D So you may try the store brand if you want to save some money. Dove ones were like $5 and I got the store brand for $3.60.
    1dazed1 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 09:23 PM

Glad you found a solution! I hate mascara, personally and wear it rarely due to all the hassle:)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 25, 2009, 10:35 PM

Oh goodness I couldn't LIVE without mascara!!
    lemonseed_97 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 03:15 PM

Glad It helped Franneh. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Waterproof mascara [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, Im now L'oreal water proof mascara, and I'm finding it very good as I have very short eye lashes. Is water proof bad for your eye lashes? As when I try to remove it which is hard as its water proof I see that a few of my eye lashes fall off. And I don't need less eyelashes!

Has anyone ever used cover girl lash blast mascara or any other cover girl mascara [ 5 Answers ]

Hey I've been experimenting with different mascaras for a week now buying a different one everyday lol and I want to know has anyone used lash blast mascara from cover girl or any other cover girl mascara if yes please share you experience I really want to find one that works great even if it's not...

Healthy mascara [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any mascaras on the market that you can buy in a store that is actually good for the eyelashes, that possibly make them grow because of botanical ingredients or at least make your eyelashes appear longer? Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A good mascara [ 3 Answers ]

I really am a fan of mascara, and often use 3 or more mascaras to achieve that real 'false lash' look, and I'm known for wearing a massive amount of mascara! :D But I would like to know of a (not too expensive) mascara which thickens and lengthens the eyelashes so I can get that false lash look...

Is it bad to put too much eyeliner and mascara? [ 6 Answers ]

Sometimes I want people to notice my eyes, so I put on a whole bunch of mascara and eyeliner. It looks pretty gothic, but would that be considered trashy or? :confused:

View more questions Search