Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    svhouston Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 08:36 AM
    Septic tank
    How do I know when to empty a septic tank?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 09:41 AM

My septic company recommends every 2 yrs. If u have just moved into house, would have it done. Some septic companies will send u a reminder.

It also depends on size of family.

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 21, 2009, 08:36 PM

You can ask 10 people and you will get 10 answers. I live on a recreational lake so we have tight standards and require a pump and check every 5 years. I am left wondering if someone isn't trying to get into creahands wallet. Pumping does 2 things, gets out anything that won't degrade and also allows for tank inspection. Debris depends of how many people, garbage disposal or not and what you flush other than human waste. From what the county inspector tells us, that we are wasting our money, I must conclude every 5 years is way often enough.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 08:49 PM

I have 7 adults living here. It cost me $125 last time had it done. For peace of mind and that price I will let him in my pocket.

Chuck
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 01:05 AM

I laugh at bal answer and just to prove he's right, my township requires it every 3 years..

To be scientific about it, a perfect tank Bio matched to input of waste essentially would never need pumped. Greasy by products is usually the failure here.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2009, 04:29 AM

And many do it when it starts backing up on the ground. I did mine about ever 4 or 5 years.
    Perry525 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

May 23, 2009, 11:16 AM
    A septic tank is full when the compacted solids are within 12 inches from the bottom of the outlet T.

To ascertain the level of the compacted solids lower a pole down the inlet T and feel the top of the solids, it feels soft but firm.

If you do not have access to the inlet T, then remove the inspection lid and lower the pole through the floating crust and down through the water until you find the top of the solids.

You may ascertain the height of the bottom of the outlet T by, referring to the tank specification or by lowering a stick with a nail in it down the outlet T and hooking it on the bottom of the T.

Deduct the distance from the top of the tank to the bottom of the outlet T, from the distance from the top of the tank to the top of the solids = equals the available space.

Note: The toilet landing in the tank, needs time to be processed, the smaller the amount of space, the quicker the toilet will transit the tank and there may be suspended solids that will find their way into the drain field and block it. Do not overfill the tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic tank [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into my house a year ago and was told that I had a septic tank. My water bill confirms it, but I can't seem to find it. There are no clean outs or covered concrete pipes. It is not on my plat either. How can I find it? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!

Septic Leach Bed Leaks Back into Septic Tank [ 15 Answers ]

Every time we get a heavy rain I get water coming from the leach bed back into the septic tank. Is there a check valve that can be installed to prevent this from happening or any other suggestions? I have been told that a curtain drain would help, but that is costly.

Septic Tank [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a house 2 years ago that was approximately 2 years old. It has a septic tank. Lately I've been smelling an odor in my master bathroom (stronger in the morning) and now I'm starting to smell it in my master bedroom. The master bedroom and bath are on the opposite side of the house from...

Septic tank [ 3 Answers ]

Can you put a septic tank in soil that has a high clay content? Would it be better to replace the clay with sandy soil?

Septic Tank [ 3 Answers ]

I the previous owners had a new tank installed right before we closed on our house 5 years ago. I had no idea you were suppose to 'pump' it out or anything. I have a leach field and all that. So I have two questions-one how often should it be pumped out and on average what is the going rate for...

View more questions Search