Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elisabillsmall Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 1, 2006, 04:56 PM
    Mother seeking child given up for adoption, 1962 boy May 15
    I am looking for my son I was forced to give up for adoption when I was 16. Seattle, Wa. Ballard-Florence Chrittenton Home for unwed Mothers. Oregon has had open files over a year, but is the only state that I know of.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Good luck, as a person who was adopted as a child I know how hard it is.

There are dozens of reunion sites, you can post on all of them, You can see about posting a letter in the court records with your contact info if they try to look you up.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2006, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabillsmall
    I am looking for my son I was forced to give up for adoption when I was 16. Seattle, Wa. Ballard-Florence Chrittenton Home for unwed Mothers. Oregon has had open files over a year, but is the only state that I know of.
    This is probably as good a place as any to start.

<http://www.fcleague.org/>
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 7, 2006, 06:16 PM
    This is what I have found related to WA.
    WA Dept. Social, Health Post Adoption Unit Office Building #2 Olympia, WA 98504 206/753-0965 Yes Adoptee Bparents Aparents Always
    Superior Family Court Yes No State Library Archives Division State Library Bldg. Olympia, WA 98504 No statute 1953
    Please inquire with the state that the child was born in as to the availability of records.
    Also:Please sign this online petition for
    Open Records in New York State!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/nysarpt1/petition.html
    Even though you are not a resident or relinquished a child in NYS. It will help change the law, one state at a time.
    Register with ISRR. This is where most of us start and hopefully finish in our search process:
    INTERNATIONAL SOUNDEX REUNION REGISTRY
    Request the Official Registration Form -- Confidential
    MAIL TO: ISRR, P.O. BOX 2312, CARSON CITY, NV 89702-2312
    You can do a browser check for printing out the official form yourself. Have it noterized.
    Register with Adoption.com.
    Join an egroups, like egroups.com that has Oregon and or WA state. They will be able to provide you with more direction accordingly. They will know the laws pertaining to your rights in your particular state. As well as the state that you relinquished your child, etc.
    Please. Don't give up. Also it is important for you to leave medical information if searching for your child overwhelm you in any manner. Most of us, have no health history. Which can be imperative to our lives as well as the lives of our children. Let me know if this helped.
    -

Dec 7, 2006, 06:21 PM
    Oh, I gave you one general petition. That one is used by adoptive parents/adoptees/aunts/uncles etc.

This one is especially for birthmothers:
    If you don't mind. I would have loved to have found my birthmother alive and well who was searching for me... anyway.Mothers Who Surrendered to Adoption
    Please also sign this one:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/forbmoms/
    Thank you.
    -

Dec 7, 2006, 06:31 PM
    Yep, I sure can be creepy! Huh!
    Also, yahoogroups.com is a good one to start searching for support and advice in your search process. As an adoptee, a mother, an angel, I will guide you in what you can accomplish. My desire was to tell my first mother that I was alive, well, safe, loved, understood, and most of all imagined her in my life as well. Best of luck, hope you find your child. And I don't know if anyone has ever thanked you for giving them life. Or the sacrifice that your unselfish gift gave to a couple to be parents. For my parents it was as if being touched by god. They would have thanked you.
    FeelSoNumbZombie Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Jan 19, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Please do not listen to any negative people in this world. Especially being a birth mother, finding your child, or the what if's. But it is not ethical and maybe illegal for you to contact until that adoptee is 18-21 years of age according to your state law.
    You are an adult. And if or when Your child is an adult. He/she maybe searching for you. And it is up to you and your belief system to decided what is best for you and your child and to search for him/her. There have been many happy reunion's. Don't let anyone tell you differently.
    There is a birth mother support group: BirthMom Buds Bulletin August 2005
    May I suggest you start of there. It is very helpful to share your experiences as well as read other's experiences who have undergone the same things that you yourself have undergone. I have.
    Also, most birth mothers decide to register with Adoption.com - Information on International, Domestic, Child & Agency Adoptions, Stories, Laws -. If there child is searching for them, in all likelihood they have registered there as well. Just leave a current and update email address. Because it may take time and you don't want to miss the opportunity by not having an active email address if he/she does try to find you.
    There are many support groups for adoptees as well as birth mothers, and adoptive parents. More and more adoptive parents are realizing the necessity of knowing and having good communication with their child's first parents. It is no longer taboo.
    Please check at the Yahoo! Groups site and put in adoption in the browser search. Select a group that will assist you in your state or the state of where the adult adoptee was born. You will see how many people are in the same situation as you are in. Not everyone is negative about adoption. Some are, and you have to feel sorry for them.
    But I am sure you have lived quite long enough to realize there are people out there that just want to discourage you. Discourage you from having the baby, discourage you from raising it yourself, discourage you from adoption, discourage you from searching and reunion.
    Everyone is different. Everyone's path in life is different. You may just find your child waiting for the past x years to find you. Or past x years since he/she was 18 years of age. Please do not let anyone make you feel that you do not have any rights to search for him/her and find out if they are willing to reunite and or speak with you. He/She is an adult now. They can make up there own mind. Please keep in mind it is not ethical to search for a child if under 18 years of age. And is against the law in many states.
    Get the support that is long overdue with a support group. Register with Adoption.com - Information on International, Domestic, Child & Agency Adoptions, Stories, Laws -, you never know if she/he is desperate to find you. Register with ISRR, International Soundex Reunion Registry, ISRR . com , Index of Search and Reunion Resources. And find out if there is a State run registry were the child was born or if you can register with them.
    Again, he/she maybe waiting for you to register. And maybe not. But you never know until you find out yourself.;)
    expaug16 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabillsmall
    You might want to call a adoption aceny and find out some adoptions are closed and might not even help you sorry

Feb 5, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Please join an adoption support group for guidance. This is not the place for support. And some people that answer these questions do not know what they are talking about. If your adoption was handled by an agency, you are entitled to non-id if it was a closed adoption. If it was an open adoption. Your biological family may have left you letters about themselves since your birth. You do not know unless you find out. YOURSELF.:D

Feb 5, 2007, 02:50 PM
    And if you are a biological mother, the same applies. Your child may have left notes for you as well with an adoption agency if one was used. And maybe not. But you have every right to find out. YOURSELF.:D

Feb 8, 2010, 12:22 PM

Elisa,
    I am both jrussole and FeelSoNumbZombie. When I originally wrote your reply I was being attacked for my views related to adoption on askmehelpdesk. I am an adoptee. Who found her birthfamily. But when I found my birthmother, she had already died from breast cancer. I was also upset at askmehelpdesk because after the personal attacks to me and my opinions about the Adoption Triad there were certain "experts" here that thought that they could bully me. So, I left. You see, my birthmother tried to find me when I reached maturation. But the adoption agency and the state laws in NY prevented her from telling and contacting me about her severely genetic hormone related cancer. She wanted to warn me of the dangers. She also wished for me to know my story. The adoption agency should have contacted me and not my adoptive parents when she wished contact. I was an adult and I could have made up my own mind if I was ready or not to hear the truth. It was not up to my parents to decide. It was up to me.
    I am sorry if I came across harsh. But the comments that were made and obviously deleted here on your question was ok'd by askmehelpdesks administrative staff. And when I asked for the removal of some of my posts I WAS DENIED, instead.
    I take offense to seeing birthmothers or adoptees attacked for wanting to find their answers. And I have a very different opinion because I lived a life looking in magazines at a man who I knew was my father. I also knew he would never admit to who I was. And honestly, it was heartbreaking. But my mother deserved to tell me herself. And I deserved to listen if I wished. And to tell her, how much I missed her. Every family is different. Just like every relationship is different in a family. Mine is NO EXception. But, there are people like what I found on askmehelpdesk that think they know it all. And they don't. I know, because I lived it.
    If you wish to find your child, please ask an angel. I am now a retired Adoption Search Angel. I paid it forward for awhile. But bias opinions from those who are ignorant in the feelings of others like you and myself have damaged my ability to ever want to help again. I hope they are satisfied with themselves. And their prejudice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted by a wonderful couple when I was only 3 months old. They never hid that from me and I am grateful. But 3 years ago I was contacted by my birth siblings. They are all nuts. I feel sorry for them. I was so lucky to have been placed in a loving home. I don't want them to call or come to...

The mother of my boyfriends child is a nutcase [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently dating a man and we are planning on getting married, he has a 2 year old daughter and things are great, I absolutely adore her, the only problem is that her mother is doing everything in her power to make our lives miserable, especially when it comes to her daughter. She won't let...

Seeking Help for My Mother and Her Friend [ 1 Answers ]

My mother's friend, I'll call her Betty here, is very bossy and demanding. She is losing her temper, losing all logic, and thus losing her family and friends. A few months ago, during an argument between she and her husband, he told her that he had started seeing someone else. Yes, we all pitied...

View more questions Search