Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkstevenson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Credit card debt
    I have recently become totally disabled my income went from $7.000 a month to $1467.00 a month I have $45.000 in credit card debt that I can not pay I can't afford to file bankruptcy because I can't afford an attorney.I have no money in the bank & still owe on my home for 28 years I can pay for my home but after that and my utility bills I have only $210.00 a month for food . What is going to happen to me? I am devastated and don't know what to do. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Jun 2, 2009, 11:40 AM
    Credit card debt
    If I change my bank can a creditor or credit card company finf it even if I don't use this account to write any checks to then on this acc
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 12:02 PM

Eventually they will find it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 12:05 PM

If you have a credit card with a company they already have more info than needed to follow your credit history.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 12:16 PM

If you change banks, and give don't give that creditor ANYTHING that would draw the connection to that account, they will never find it. They do not and cannot get access to your SS records.

However, if they sue you for the debt, the judge can force you to reveal all your assets, including that account. But by the time that would happen, you would have plenty of time to take evasive action.

Im not saying anything... but the word "offshores" comes to mind heheh (kidding!! Kind of... )

Jun 2, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Credit card debt
    I have recently lost all my income . I was making 7.0000 a month at my business which I had to close & received no money from it. I am receiving social security disability in the amount of $ 962.00 a month which is enough to make my house payment leaving $162.00 a month for food . I am 42.000 in credit card debt and have no way to pay this back or even enough to file bankruptcy what can I do . Can they put a lien on my house? I still owe on it for 28 years please I need a answer
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jun 2, 2009, 05:02 PM

Didn't you just post this question earlier?
    resqueen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 05:34 AM
    I do not know what will happen to you. I will relate to you my experience. It may not be over but so far I believe so.

Mann Bracken sent a suit for a judgement against myself. It was going to go into default so I did get an attorney to stop that. I also had 3 other companies calling and after me. My attorney sent them letters 2 weeks ago. End of story at this point.

I realize you do not have money for a lawyer, but this was less than 2000$ and I sold some personal belonging to get the money.

My point was, I owed credit card company X, mann B bought the debt, I do not owe them, they bought a pig in a poke.

I suggest you sell something and be sure to get an attorney with some cajones.

Resqueen
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 10:53 AM

dkstevenson: They can put a lien on your home. That means that if you ever sell the house, you will have to pay back the mortgage, then pay them, then pay yourself. They cannot make you sell your home.

Realistically, you can't afford your home. You should try to sell it and start renting while you can... unless you think you will be able to gain another source of income.

You probably still have quite a bit of time before the CC companies pursue legal action so find another source of income and start saving if you want to file BK.

There are always options but, unfortunately, they are not always the options that you want to hear. You owed the money.. you can't expect to get out of it for free.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle View Post
    If you change banks, and give dont give that creditor ANYTHING that would draw the connection to that account, they will never find it. They do not and cannot get access to your SS records.

However, if they sue you for the debt, the judge can force you to reveal all your assets, including that account. But by the time that would happen, you would have plenty of time to take evasive action.

Im not saying anything... but the word "offshores" comes to mind heheh (kidding!!! kinda...)

This is not correct - the company that extended the credit has a ton of info, doesn't need anyone's cooperation.

The creditor will simply "run" the check and ALL accounts will show up.

Hehe.
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    This is not correct - the company that extended the credit has a ton of info, doesn't need anyone's cooperation.

The creditor will simply "run" the check and ALL accounts will show up.

Hehe.

So you're saying that if I opened a new bank account tomorrow that any creditor trying to collect from me from the past can simply run a check and find that account?

Where would they be deriving this information from?
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 12:25 PM
    So youre saying that if I opened a new bank account tomorrow that any creditor trying to collect from me from the past can simply run a check and find that account??

Where would they be deriving this information from?

Banks submit this information to credit report agencies on a routine basis.

And, yes, that's what I'm saying to you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 12:28 PM

I agree and also mentioned this in post #4. They know you backwards and forward.
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 12:35 PM

I have never seen checking/savings account information or employment information on a credit report unless it was used by the debtor to obtain credit, in some way.

I suppose I could be wrong but for now, I have to disagree...
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 01:16 PM
    I have never seen checking/savings account information or employment information on a credit report unless it was used by the debtor to obtain credit, in some way.

I suppose I could be wrong but for now, I have to disagree...

Then we stand in disagreement, your experience being different from mine.
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 01:43 PM

I am okay with disagreeing but would much rather NOT be wrong :D

I know you have a lot of experience here, Judy, as I have read many of your posts... I value your input.

Have you seen examples of that happening... where banking or employment information has shown up on a credit report when the debtor did NOT submit that information to anyone... anywhere (meaning the credit bureaus themselves or any credit application)?

Jun 3, 2009, 05:17 PM

Yes I have to agree with JudyKayTee, I know from working that banks can and DO sumbit information routinely to the credit agencies.
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 05:25 PM

I know that banks submit information to credit reporting bureaus... but from what I know, it is only pertaining to a loan or credit card issues through that bank.

I have never heard of a bank submitting anything referencing a checking or savings account to a credit bureau. I have only ever seen this kind of information on a report when the user has submitted that information themselves.

Can anyone say for sure that this is what is happening?

Why would a bank report my checking account to a credit bureau if it is not linked in any way to a loan or a credit card I have through them.. UNLESS, I have a negative balance and am past due repaying it?
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 06:23 PM
    I know that banks submit information to credit reporting bureaus... but from what I know, it is only pertaining to a loan or credit card issues thru that bank.

I have never heard of a bank submitting anything referencing a checking or savings account to a credit bureau. I have only ever seen this kind of information on a report when the user has submitted that information themselves.

Can anyone say for sure that this is what is happening??

Why would a bank report my checking account to a credit bureau if it is not linked in any way to a loan or a credit card I have thru them.. UNLESS, I have a negative balance and am past due repaying it??

I think I already said that I have seen reports where the bank has reported an account has been opened, a CD has been obtained. Sometimes the bank runs a check to see where the deposit money comes from.

I don't work in the banking industry so why it happens, I don't know. I only know that it does.

To "assume" that opening a new account at another bank keeps a lien from being collected is simply foolish.

Jun 4, 2009, 10:00 AM

Again,JudykayTee is 100% correct! Make the mistake of opening another account and think it will not be found think again! I have said this before and I will say it again THEY WILL FIND IT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Credit Card Debt? Consolidate using debt consolidation agency? Good or Bad? [ 11 Answers ]

Does it reflect negatively on my credit report if I consolidate credit card debt using a debt consolidation agency? I can make my credit card payments, but only the minimums. The APR's are mid to high teens -- I feel like a hamster on a wheel. Is it worse to continue like I am, with credit cards...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

View more questions Search