Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

May 20, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Frog from my back yard
    Today I find a frog in my backyard. I decided I wanted to keep him and take care of him so I went to Petco and got the necessities (i.e. tank, bedding, crickets). I told them that it's a pretty good sized frog... clearly an adult. They told me that I should buy a bag of 12 crickets and when I get home just shake the crickets into the tank and he will eat however many he feels he needs. Well, almost as soon as I put them in the tank he ate all but 1 of them. My questions are:

1. Was he just hungry or is that how many he would normally eat?
    2. If he eats all 12 at one time then how will I know when he needs to be fed again?
    3. Is there a certain time table to how often I feed him as in every other day or once a week and so on?

Your help is much appreciated as this is my first frog in a long time.
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

May 21, 2009, 08:29 AM

I found a site explaining frog and cricket care.
    Dealing with Crickets for the Squeamish Pet Owner
    Hope that helps

May 21, 2009, 11:46 AM

Well I thank you for that article very much. It told me how often I am supposed to feed my frog but it also said that he was supposed to have eaten 3 or 4 of them... he ate 12 of them his first day. Of course, he may have just been hungry. So tomorrow I will go to the store and buy him some more crickets.
    justis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 11:52 AM

IMO Frog's don't over indulge.
    Was most likely hungry.
    Has your climate been dry?
    May have been lack of food for him/her.

May 21, 2009, 03:50 PM

Actually it rained here in Indiana for it seemed like an eternity but the last week has been quite dry. So I believe he was just hungry. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate all of it. The article said I should feed him every 2-3 days. Is this correct? And also, if I throw all 12 of the crickets in the tank with him and he's not hungry he just won't eat them until he is hungry right?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 12:45 AM

Cool, I love froggies!
    We used to have a pond in our back yard and we would go to a local lake and collect tadpoles to put in it..

It was always so sad when they grew up and hopped away :(

Unfortunately we just let ours live on mosquitos that fell into the pond so I have no idea how often to feed :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Draining into back yard [ 4 Answers ]

The drain from my washing machine is going outside. The water from my washing machine isn't going through my plumbing system. What do I do?

Rid possum from back yard [ 2 Answers ]

A possum keeps perching itself on our fence driving the dogs insane. I'm not sure if it's ever come into the yard, but I don't want it to. How can I discourage it from coming around?

Back Yard Spigot [ 4 Answers ]

My Back Yard Spigot seems to be stripped. How do I replace it?

Back Yard Spigot [ 2 Answers ]

I turned my spigot on in the back yard to water grass and when I went to turn it off it got stuck. I tried everything and nothing worked so I turned the water off completely to the house. Can anyone help with advice. Thanks

Bees in back yard [ 9 Answers ]

We have a very young family with a 2 year old living in our rental house with a full backyard. They have called us recently because there is a newly formed bee hive in the backyard. They say they've been stung a few times and are very nervous that their 2 year old will get stung. We told them to...

View more questions Search