Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lojo 54321 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 11:50 AM
    Alcoholic parents and hormonic sister
    My name is lewis and I am 13. I have a mum, dad and sister. My mum and dad are both alcoholics and my sisters 15 and the age where she keeps arguing with my mum and dad.
    I am fed up and am so miserable I cry myself to sleep. Then when I'm doing my homework they always argue and my grades are dropping. Please help me, I have no one to turn to. I cry as I write this hoping that someone can help

Please... please... please... help me!!
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

May 20, 2009, 11:54 AM

Please contact your counselor at school. This is a very dangerous environment for you to be living in. There is no reason that you should have to live like this. Some of the arguing that happens is norm, as your sister is a teenager. However, the added alcholoism most likely takes it to the level that you are finding to be unbearable. I am sorry that you don't have peace in your home and I hope that you are able to find it soon.

May 20, 2009, 12:11 PM

Thank you for your response, it helped a lot. Unfortunately, I'm a bit too shy to speak to anyone face to face
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

May 20, 2009, 12:13 PM

Write a note to your teacher/counselor or principal and let them know what is happening and that you are asking for help. Can you speak to your parents to let them know how this is affecting you?

May 20, 2009, 01:04 PM

I could try to ask my parents but it's hard to find a time when their not drunk

Also, I would just like to say that I'm really scared because my mum was in a comer 3years ago and it started with liver enlargement. She recently went for a scan and she has slight liver enlargement as well as a 90% risk of heart disease and I'm really scared that history will repeat itself

Thank you for all your responses and they really helped
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 01:42 PM

If you want assistance for yourself and your family, you are going to have to talk to someone outside of that social circle.

Sometimes it is very difficult to share our problems/unfortune with other people, but believe me that there isn't anything to be scared of vocalizing to another adult you feel confident with. You and your sister are trying to handle an adult situation that is beyond your control.

There is no shame in asking for help. It shows a lot of maturity and strength to seek counsel when you are in a situation that you alone can not handle.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 20, 2009, 02:45 PM
    You have been put in a very stressful situation, through no fault of your own. To live with such upheaval, and stress, is unhealthy, and not at all acceptable. You have every reason to expect a better, more stable life, with sober parents. Their actions are their own, and are not a result of anything you have done.

It is important that you realize you have choices here. One is to remain silent, and continue to be adversely affected by a situation you have no control over. That will result in more sadness and upset for you, continued falling grades, depression, and physical problems resulting from poor sleep, poor nutrition and inadequate support, nurturing and love.

When people drink, to the extent you have described, they choose to take that path that alienates them from their responsibilities to their children. They choose to drink, and in so doing, everybody around them suffers as you are experiencing. These choices satisfy their needs, but not yours. You are at the mercy of when, how much, and the aftermath of what their drinking consequences are. Your silence will not make your life better.

One choice you have is as others have said, talk to a trusted adult, teacher, counsellor, even your family doctor, a mental health clinic, Alanon, a relative, a friends parent, a church pastor, the Children's Protection Agency, an 800 teen help line.

What you will find is that your concerns are valid, and you are in a dangerous situation where you basic needs are not being met. You cannot have two alcoholic parents, and a safe environment at the same time. What you need is information, guidance, and options, and in order to get that, you have to speak out.

Before you feel any worse, or continue to live the way you are, please, call somebody, go and talk to someone face to face, let it all out, and gain the understanding, perspective and wisdom you need to make choices, and/or, learn how to cope without losing yourself in the process.

It really is up to you.

May 20, 2009, 11:38 PM

Thank you for all the responses that everyone has given
    Emotional Health Expert

May 21, 2009, 06:06 AM
    I hope you will post again and let us know how you are doing. Sometimes a start is just talking, and there are many good people here who have experience and insight into the problems you have described.

Keep in touch if you can.

May 21, 2009, 09:38 AM

I will
    mami_to0_blazin Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 10:03 AM

my dad is an alcoholic and you can NOT talk to him.. he also does drugs... its hard to tell them something when they don't want to listen they are too busy down and out worrying about their own problems... than worrying about their kids.. I felt the way you do I dropped out of school because of it... =/

Nov 2, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Hi, things have gotten to a whole new level :( my dad is getting a lot better but my mum is getting worse. She calls the police because she thinks that my dad is trying to hurt her and he is only looking out for her safety and guiding her where she needs to go. She has recently been in hospital again because she had 3 fits in the car. :( my dad is doing everything he can but its not enough and we are preparing for the worst. We need some place to take her, anywhere, we have tried rehabilitation but that only stopped her for 7 and a half weeks. Now its spiralling outa control. I need help from someone.

There must be someone, somewhere

I need help :(
    guineapigging Posts: 16, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 4, 2009, 07:38 PM

Please talk to a counsellor. It's been said before but its true. Let us know
    kappachino Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

Nov 6, 2009, 07:59 AM

Hi, I am really sorry you are going through this, especially as you are so young. I had alcoholism on both sides of my family so I completely understand what you mean. The mood swings (nice as pie one day, terrible as the devil himself the next), the constant living on a knife edge, drunken arguments etc.

Have you a relative or close friend's parent whom you know will keep your confidentiality initially while things may improve? This will at least be an outlet for you for the time being.

It's a very positive step that your dad is taking, but at the moment his priority I guess is your mum. I'm afraid, that again, I have been in this position and if I could give you a huge hug I would. Here's a cyber ((((hug))))

Take care and you are doing brilliantly,

K

Nov 6, 2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks, all my relatives think I'm exaggerating so that's out the window

(((((hug))))) bak
    Thanks for all comments

Apr 11, 2010, 03:13 PM

Holy fuk lifes got worse. You will nvr believe this... my dad... is a paedophile... I mean cursed or what.. and also, guess what.. he did it with my sister... god have mercy on my soul... I don't know how I'm still living with a family like this. Also, I know you may hate me for this but I still love him... he is my dad... but his trial is on 2nd of June and then I lose my dad...

But one thing is for certain... there is no god and I don't know if I can handle living like this

Apr 11, 2010, 03:14 PM

Help me I'm only a fukin child for gods sake
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 05:11 PM
    You're going to have to watch your language and the text talk, or they will delete your post.

If you are serious about what is going on in your life, and the anger you display is real, you need help- right away.

This is not a place where we can solve what is going on in your life. Phone a kids help line, or get yourself to your school counsellor's office, phone your grandparents, a trusted adult, or teacher. You must speak to someone face to face.

What you have described is not something that anybody would find easy to live with, and that's putting it mildly. I think it is also safe to say that your father, mother and/or sister are not going to give you the support you need to face the days ahead.

Please seek out help as soon as you can.

Apr 13, 2010, 04:28 AM

Sorry about the language :(

Jul 12, 2010, 03:06 PM

Now social services are involved they have placed me with my neighbours for the time being. They are really nice. Dads bail is now moved to 15th July. Getting council-ling and help from school. Thanks people x

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alcoholic or not? [ 30 Answers ]

What do you consider an alcoholic? Someone who sleeps on a park bench with a bagged bottle? A 'respectable' citizen who drinks 3 times a week? A binge drinker? Someone who can't stop once they start? Just wondering what other people think?

How do I get my sister removed from my parents home [ 7 Answers ]

My sister is infecting elder abuse on my parents. She has been mentally abusing them, My parents are over 65years old and live in the state of California. They had to call the police on her 4-6 times in the last 2 month. My father is afraid of her he doesn't come out of his room and he's...

On Credit card with Parents- Parents Leaving me holding the bag [ 3 Answers ]

I got out of a bad relationship and my credit was bad... so my parents offered to take out some credit cards and also put me on some established ones... I am only on there as a signer, authorized user... I charged very little most of the charges were for a business my mom owns... they now have...

Parents Divorcing & my little sister is in the mix. [ 1 Answers ]

My name is Britney NeSmith and I am a 20 year old college JR. I am the oldest I have a brother who is 17 and a little sister who is only 11. Recently my brother left home and now lives with some family friends. This change in our lives was very hard on us all but mostly on my Mom. While gogin...

Teen problems at home, Alcoholic parents and some other stuff.. [ 8 Answers ]

Well my names nicole and I am constently fighting with my parents my mom excecially.. she had me when she was 16v or 17 and when I was younger I sprent most of my time with my grandparents.its like she doesn't understand anything I say and she also won't talk to me about anything.. she has been...

View more questions Search