Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cstudent Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 10:42 AM
    Prorating rent for first month
    Ok... here's the situation. The apartment is in Charlotte, NC (Mecklenburg County). The complex is designed for college students. 4 bedroom apartments with each occupant having a separate yearly lease.

The lease started on the 17th of the month, but the landlord states that a full month must be paid on move-in and on the first of the month thereafter. There is no proration taking place.

My question is, "is that legal?"
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 11:15 AM
    What date did you sign the lease on? Was the apartment available for occupancy on the 1st of the month? If the apartment was available but you chose not to move in until the 17th, then you have to pay the full month's rent. However, if the apartment wasn't ready until the 17th, then the landlord has to pro-rate rent for that month.

May 20, 2009, 08:35 PM

No I could not move in until the 17th, but they still want a full months rent. The lease was signed a month in advance.

I thought landlords were required to prorate rent when dealing with year term leases if tenant's lease begins mid month. Anyone have any legal cites reference this matter?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2009, 08:39 PM

Hummm, if that is their rental terms then you had the option of not renting. I am not aware of any rule ( in the areas I live) that requires you to prorate anything.

If he offered you the home on the 1st, but ou did not or could not move in till the 17th I can see where he would start rent on 1st and leave you free to move in when you could.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cstudent View Post
    No I could not move in until the 17th
    Right, but was that your doing or the landlord's doing? Was the apartment open and ready to be occupied, or were you waiting for the apartment to open up prior to moving in on the 17th?

May 21, 2009, 06:32 AM
    Lease began on the 17th. It was the landloards doing.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 21, 2009, 06:41 AM

Hello cs:

This isn't landlord/tenant law. It's CONTRACT law, and it makes perfect sense. You can't be charged for the time BEFORE you even entered into the lease... Why doesn't he charge you for the last seven months or ten months?? He's nuts.

Hopefully, you didn't move in... If you did, I'd move out, because who wants to rent from a landlord who makes up his own rules??

But, if you did, and you want to FIGHT, send him a certified letter telling him to sue you if he thinks you owe him money.

If he does, you'll win hands down.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 06:42 AM

If he didn't surrender the premises(give you the keys) to you until the 17th, then you certainly do NOT owe him for the first half of that month's rent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 21, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cstudent View Post
    but the landlord states that a full month must be paid on move-in and on the first of the month thereafter.
    The question here is WHERE does the landlord say this? Because if it states this in the lease and you signed the lease, then you agreed to this provision. However, if it doesn't state this on anything that you signed, then he's full of hot air. He can't charge for a period before you were allowed occupancy.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Because if it states this in the lease and you signed the lease, then you agreed to this provision.
    I would think it all depends on the state law. In my state, I can't have my tenant agree to something that conflicts with the law. So even if I were to put into the lease that my tenant can't sue me for anything ever and they sign it, it's still not binding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month to Month Lease with rent increase [ 7 Answers ]

Hi... what is the law concerning month to month apartment rentals? I have been living at my place for over a year, and my lease expired June '08. Since I have been on a month to month. The past few months, I have been paying my rent late; but it's always been paid in full including the...

Prorating Rent when on a month to month basis [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to get a pro-rated amount back from a landlord since I was on a month to month basis and gave over 30 day notice to vacate. The pro-rated my rent at the beginning of the lease. I paid the last month in full on good faith and only stayed 10 days of the beginning of the month. Should...

Prorating rent at beginning of lease [ 1 Answers ]

I am aware that a landlord can refuse to prorate rent once someone has signed a contract to pay through a certain time, but can a landlord refuse to prorate at the beginning of a lease? I am moving into an apartment on September 10th, and the receptionist said something about prorating only...

Prorating rent [ 4 Answers ]

My lease is up for my apartment on August 12, but I have to pay a full months rent and I'm only going to be there for 12 days. And the landlord refuses to prorate the rent. But if I renew my lease then I can stay there without paying twice. But I plan to move out by the 12th, is it legal for the...

Prorating a month to month lease [ 3 Answers ]

I am a landlord in New Jersey, I rented my apartment for a year then it turned into a month to month lease, the tenant told me about three months ago that he would initially be leaving in June but since he was looking to buy a house and it took longer than expected it turns out he will be...

View more questions Search