Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    songman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 11:05 AM
    Son getting out of prison
    Anyone have any advice on how best to help my 28 yr old son when he gets out in march of 07? (drug related)... any special programs to help him get employment etc?. thanks:)
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2006, 10:33 PM
    I am sure you want to do all you can for him and you can. Just let him do as much as he can for himself. If he was in a drug program while in, get him in one on the outs. In many cases, if an addict thinks he can just have a few beers, he is looking for trouble. If drugs got him in prison, starting with a few drinks can lead him back to that behavior. It is a tough transition and he needs a good suport system. If he is really "done" then he will make it. If not, then there is nothing you can do but watch from the sidelines.
    My son did 4 years for meth manufacture charges. The first 6 months on the outs was good. When he started drinking and partying it lead from one thing to the other. Although he has not gone back, (3 years out) he may well find himself in that position again.
    I just wish you the best and I hope it all works out for you. Even though he is your child, he is his own man and we all have to travel the road of our own choice.
    songman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 08:54 AM
    Thanks... his was meth also... 2 years for selliing it... been on it since 13 yrs old... ex wife who has always been a great enabler now adamant about him not staying in this area when he gets out... any thoughts on relocation vs living here?.
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2006, 09:31 AM
    I was a prison guard, state and fed, retired. Seems as though the guys that had the revolving door syndrom always went back to the same 'hood.' Back to the same peer group and peer pressure they were involved with when the troubles began. If at all possible, a clean break with a new environment to get started in is the best bet. We can recreate ourselves for the better but first we must let go of the old patterns.
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Oct 2, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    I was a prison guard, state and fed, retired. Seems as though the guys that had the revolving door syndrom always went back to the same 'hood.' Back to the same peer group and peer pressure they were involved with when the troubles began. If at all possible, a clean break with a new environment to get started in is the best bet. We can recreate ourselves for the better but first we must let go of the old patterns.
    This is so true-in my opinion-. I was with a man who went to prison twice for drug related issues (selling them, doing them, beating people up because he was on them;hence, violating his probation... ) and each time he got out he would continue to do the same thing because "that's all he has ever known". We recently came out of a six year relationship because he has gotten worse and worse-became violent towards me-we have children-such a bad mess! He use to say often" If I could just move to another state or somewhere further away-then maybe it would be easier for me not to do this..."
    Now there are no guarantees, but it is a hopeful idea-and it very well COULD work. BTW, he is also 28 years old-just came out of his 2nd time in FEDERAL prison last July.
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Yes but, where ever you go there you are. It takes hard work to change. Our brains love to stay stuck in a comfortable place even if it is a bad place to be.
    Like soom one said, "I keep leaving my problems behind but I'm always there when I arrive!"
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Oct 2, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Sorry I did not mention this, but he was also 13 years old when he started. His parents divorced, he started gangbanging... I'm sorry to sound so negative and only give you bad news, but please don't bring him back home to all his familiar surroundings. I think it would be best for him to relocate for the sake of his own future.
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Oct 2, 2006, 04:14 PM
    Such a tough call, if he goes back home, same environment etc, bad stuff can happen. If he relocates and has no one there for him to give him encouragement it can be bad also. He has got to be strong, make new friends get involved with good people, good intentions, good help groups. The way I see it, he HAS to really work at it. Nothing comes easy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Best thing is for him to live someone else than where he used to live, or at least not hang at all with any old friends.

But the sad fact is , that unless he wants to change he won't. I have close relitives in my life and having worked with Federal and State prisions and police departments, I see the normal run. They get caught, promise everyone everything, get out, do OK for a few weeks to a few months, then they start acting funny and soon back into their old life.
    Some don't even wait a week.

With drugs they normally come to jail on drug or theft charges ( theft to pay for the drugs)

Jobs will be tough, but even an excon ( not meaning ours on thie site) can find some level of work, it is normally dirty and low paying, but there are jobs out there.

The main thing is for family to stay invovled in their life, in doing so hopfully it will help.
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Oct 3, 2006, 06:03 PM
    From my experience, change of environment can be motivating... but there needs to be a lot of support and they have to be making a lot of personal changes as well. Just moving out of the area is not nearly enough.

But I would advise you to ask your son what he wants, let him make his own decisions, recreate his life and give him some sense of control over his life that he has not had in a long time... and when he starts to think like his old ways or behave in old patterns, then you can let him know what you think... be a support, that's what he needs.
    mark mann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 08:24 PM
    U can go to workforce center and ask about WIA it is program where they help to pay for training to re-enter the work force.also go to your state vocational rehabilitation department and have him say he is disabled and that his disability is drug addiction and they will help him get clothes, and transportation so he can seek employment I was released from prison 2 years ago and this helped me good luck WIA is work force investment act
    Essencemonaye Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Every comment that I read is right. All you can really do is be supportive, offer your advice and be there for him. Show him that it is possible for him to make a positive reentry into society.
    When he do put forth effort commend him on it. ALso its not much but Target hire ex-con's. I'll keep you and your in my prayers
    christine1616 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 09:13 AM
    You might check out this guide book "From Here To There" that will help him acclimate back into society. It has all kinds of good information from how to find a job to how to take care of children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In prison for hearing [ 7 Answers ]

What happens when someone is in prison for a hearing?

Prison [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, quick question: Is prison a good idea?

View more questions Search