Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pawan_24k Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 05:46 AM
    My Computer restarts at boot up
    Sir,
    My computer boots up to the windows screen where you have a dot scrolling horizontally and then it restarts with a beep.
    Please help.
    Libran Posts: 43, Reputation: 0

May 20, 2009, 06:02 AM

Hi pawan,

There are couple of reasons responsible for same... drivers or power supply.

Easiest thing - can you boot into safe mode? IF so, reinstall chipset drivers.

If not , let me know, I will guide you further.
    Libran Posts: 43, Reputation: 0

May 20, 2009, 06:04 AM
    Also, I please tell what you did when you last time installed the computer.
    Did you opened the cabinet and did something inside?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 08:10 AM

This can also be caused by a bad CPU or a bad chip on the motherboard. This requires a CPU or a mother board replacement.

If you can't boot into safe mode, you can check the power supply with a voltmeter. Check for ripple by putting the voltmeter on the AC scale. There should be virtually no ripple. If there is, you can replace the power supply. Here are some pin-outs for various power supplies.

ATX, BTX, WTX and other power supply cables connectors pinouts listing

If you have a voltmeter, but aren't sure how to do this, repost and I'll give you more information.
    pawan_24k Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 04:57 AM
    Dear Libran
    Thanks a lot for your advice on my problem. The fact is I can't boot into Safe Mode. If I try booting in using Safe Mode, the computer gets stuck at some point and then restarts. As to whether I did something inside the cabinet, well, I am just back after summer vacations and somebody else might have been up to something. I am not sure about it.
    Please help.
    Thanks.
    Pawan
    RRJ00707 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 01:10 AM

Assuming your using XP, first thing you should do is try running chkdsk. If you have your Operating System (XP) disk put that in and boot to it. The first screen will come up and then just hit R to run a repair.

It will go to a black screen, just let it time out, it's only like 4 or 5 seconds. Now all you have to do is select the C: drive by hitting 1 or whatever number is next to it. Then it will ask you for an Administrators Password, just hit hit enter. 99% of the time there is no password. Then you will come to the C:\. All you have to do is type chkdsk /p then hit enter. Do it as many times as you need to until it comes back with no errors found.

I hope this fixes your problem!
    msheerazhaider Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 09:17 PM

Hey most probable reason is your SMPS is not working(its burnt or something) Check that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer restarts at starting screen? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Anson Wong, I am a 11 year old boy in California. My other computer kind of broke because whenever I go up to the startup screen, I typed in my password, and when I pressed the green arrow, The computer restarts! I've been trying to fix this for hours, I was wondering if you...

Computer automatically restarts randomly. [ 13 Answers ]

Computer specs Compaq Presario Xp SP3 AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor Nvidia GeForce graphic card. Speedfan temps are: Temp 1 : 86 F Temp 2 : 98 F

My computer restarts randomly and gives me an error message. [ 2 Answers ]

I am running a Compaq Presario, 160 gb hd, 512mb of ram and is about 6 years old. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I have about 107 gb used space. I think I am running SP2 At random times, the computer will restart without notice. After it reboots an error message states " The system has...

Computer restarts on startup [ 2 Answers ]

Omg this is really annoying... today I did a sypware scan and it said it had to restart so I reatsrted it... but when it starts up.. it gets to the blue screen that says "windows is starting up" the mouse cursor pops up and then... it restarts again? This keeps on happening everythime I try to...

Computer restarts by itself and does not open deskstop [ 5 Answers ]

I have a desktop computer and have Windows XP professional. When I start my computer it starts OK and as soon as it goes to window opening page and it seems like it is processing but after a while it reboots again, without getting the Desktop window. It happens again and again. I do not know,...

View more questions Search