Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Search4Answers Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 04:54 AM
    Why was the Blue wire connected to a blank screw?
    Hi. I just replaced my old mercury thermostat with a Honeywell RTH2310. The old wires were : yellow connected to a "Y" screw, Green connected to a "G" screw, White connected to a "W" screw, red wire connected to "Rh" screw and a Blue wire was connected to a blank screw, but was right next to an "Rc" screw. On the new Honeywell, I connected the obvious, yellow to Y, green to G, white to W, red to Rh and the blue to the Rc. Was this OK to do? What was the blue wire for and why was it not connected to anything specific on the old thermostat? Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 20, 2009, 05:17 AM

You would have to go to air handler to see if connected. Blue and yellow I see sometimes as cool(outside compressor contactor control wire)

May 20, 2009, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    You would have to go to air handler to see if connected. blue and yellow I see sometimes as cool(outside compressor contactor control wire)
    Huh? Perhaps I didn't phrase my question correctly... When I connected the new Honeywell RTH2310, I connected the red wire to the "RH", the blue wire to the "RC", yellow to Y, green to G, white to W etc. Everything was working OK when I turned it all on and checked if the heat ran and then tested the A/C. My question was if anyone knew if the blue wire actually does anything? So, while waiting for a response, I opened the Honeywell control panel and loosened the blue wire screw, and tested the unit again, by turning on the Heat and then the A/C. Everything seems to work. I don't have the programming set yet, because today, the temperature is mild and don't need Heat or A/C today.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

May 20, 2009, 07:43 PM

Here is a wiring color map for thermostats. Convention is for blue to be used in 2nd stage cool, them heat or common/neutral. If the blue is one of these it doesn't make sense to connect it to this thermostat, since this is a battery powered single stage thermostat. That explains why removing it does nothing. However, if you have a transformer in your air handler to power a thermostat without batteries, and the blue is your common/neutral, you probably blew the transformer.

You might want to find where that blue goes in case you need to use it in the future.

FYI Rh and Rc are for those rare dual heat and cool transformer systems. Which is why they were jumpered together.

May 21, 2009, 04:22 AM

Thanks for responding. As it turned out, yesterday it got quite warm and the automatic programming did not kick on to cool the house at the time I had programmed in there. So I tightened the screw to that blue wire in the slot. Then the programming mode suddenly kicked on and the A/C started. I'll probably call a service technician though, because now there's a puddle on the floor in front of the Heil, so something's probably clogged and needs to be cleaned out.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 21, 2009, 05:18 AM

I understood your question, So you looked in the Air Handler and saw it was Connected, Not connected, Both?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vpn connected blue screen appears [ 4 Answers ]

Hai all Can you advice me on this when I try to connect vpn I am getting blue screen Can any one help on this Can any body come on chat [email protected]

Blank Blue Screen after login in in Windows XP [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Deary, After booting my Window XP PCs, I discovered that it won't come up with startup menu nor with any icons on desktop as normal. All I could see is blank blue screen. For now I could only check some documents up using ALT+CTRL+DEL which shows 'Windows Task Manager' -> File -> run. ...

12-gauge wire will not fit in 20A outlet screw terminal [ 10 Answers ]

I have run conduit which came with 3-wire 12 gauge standed cable. I have it going to a 20A outlet, but all of the strands will not fit in the screw terminal. The breaker is a 15A. Can I trim a few of the 12 gauge strands to get the wire to fit onto the screw terminal? Are electrical outlets also...

Honeywell T8411R Blue wire Not Connected [ 1 Answers ]

We were going to replace the TR8411R thermostat with a programmable one and have discovered that we apparently have a heat pump (we just bought the house last week). As we were trying to match the wires to the new thermostat we found that a blue wire was not attached. The installer seemed to...

Blue wire connected to white or black? [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a Hampton bay ceiling fan but no installation manual. Does the blue wire get connected to the white or black house wire?

View more questions Search