Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dafuzzman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Collections Credit Reporting - NSF Checking
    My wife added me to her checking account in early 2003. In November of 2003, she wrote a check that bounced and was returned for NSF. To make a long story short, it was turned over to collections. She paid the debt with interest, penalties, and various fees. The problem, it was put on my credit report as (4) entries under the same account number. I am told this can drop your score 50 - 100 points. It was not put on her credit report. I don't know enough about Washington State law but why was it put on my credit report when I am not the primary account holder and didn't write the check? I can understand a certain liability but limited. I called the collection agency but they told me it was because Washington State is a community property state and they thought I was a primary account holder. That they had my social security number, etc. The basic run around I suppose. I discovered this after taking out a $5,000 note at 23% interest to help my mother with her medical bills. She could have lost her home so time wasn't on our side to resolve this issue. Can a collection agency put it on my credit report? :eek:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Yes they can. Why they didn't put it on hers is a mystery. You need to dispute those duplicated entries on your credit report. You can dispute online with all 3 of the major reporting agencies. See here for the links: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bankru...tml#post111771

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Because collections [ 2 Answers ]

What is the longest that a debt collector has to collect on a loan in BC? What kinds of bearing does the statute of limitations have on this?

Credit Reporting Used as a weapon [ 4 Answers ]

What are the options for getting a company to correct their erroneous credit reporting? This has to do with Geico the Insurance company. They terminated my policy, sent me a refund. Now they are claiming we re-signed and that we owe and are reporting the lack of payment. We never restated our...

Credit reporting [ 3 Answers ]

When someone is offered a settlement or you are negociating (sp) with a creditor or collection agency. Some say to try to get the creditor to put PAID IN FULL OR NEVER LATE OR no deal. How do you really know that they will abide by what they are saying, I know they can't be trusted. Do you wait...

Collections [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Utah. I have a hospital debt that is large enough that I cannot pay what the hospital wants me to pay each month and they have advised me that it will go to a collection agency. My Question is: "If i make the monthly payments i can afford to the collection agency, can they still...

View more questions Search