Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fionajane Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 11:16 AM
    Do you like Palliative care nursing (Cancer Nurse)?
    I want to be a nurse and work with people with cancer and leukemia but all my friends and family think that its too depressing, but they don't understand, so is there anyone who already is a palliative care nurse do you find your job too depressing and would you recommend that career path to anyone else? Thank You. X
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 21, 2009, 10:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fionajane View Post
    I want to be a nurse and work with people with cancer and leukemia but all my friends and family think that its too depressing, but they dont understand, so is there anyone who already is a palliative care nurse do you find your job too depressing and would you recommend that career path to anyone else? Thank You. x
    fionajane;
    I did a lot of palliative care for over 30 years. I am retired now and going for a new career in business, I will always be glad for my experience in palliative care.

You tend to bond with your patient very quickly. To help them through this time to the end of their life is special. The family is just as much your patient as the patient. Death is difficult to deal with because it seems it is the end. But that depends on what they believe. That you have the knowledge to keep them comfortable, even you are grateful for that. To be able to do that and to be with them to the end gives you a feeling of doing something useful. You know it is appreciated by the family but the feeling within yourself is something that can't be described very well in words. You are truly saddened to see them go, but glad you were there to help. Satisfaction for a job well done. Knowing you did your best and it was good. Some people have healing hands and a desire to help people and find that they can help the most in that situation. If you feel that is what you want to do then do it and don't let anyone dissuade you. It is your choice and there is always a need for someone who cares. SS

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nursing care plan with priority nursing dx [ 1 Answers ]

I need a priority nursing diagnosis from the nanda list for this patient. Patient c 92 yr old fell medical dx of C4 fracture and patient has a possible broken arm that patient can not move. Weight 75lbs.has neck immobilizer on, foley cat in, IV in with ns @ 75 cc/hr. on bed rest total care patient....

Nursing care plan [ 2 Answers ]

I have to do a 5 point care plan for a patient in my care. My patient is female, 47yrs, lives alone. Was admitted into hospital with fractured tibia, sustained following a fall whilst under the influence of alcohol. She did not seek help for 10 days and may lose her foot. She did not relalise it...

Nursing questions for student nurse [ 0 Answers ]

Hello there to whom it may concern my name is mary and I had a couple of questions for a student nurse if anyone is interested please email me. 1.where will you obtain your degree & why did you choose this program? 2.what is your defenition of nursing? 3.how would you describe your role as a...

Nursing care plan (prenatal) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I was assigned to do a nursing care plan on a patient (I am a student nurse) who would like to take a regular vitamin rather than a vitamin that includes folic acid. I have 2 care plan books & none seem to have any supporting evidence of any good nursing diagnoses or plans of care in this...

View more questions Search