Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anderssen Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2006, 03:49 PM
    Media cuts off the router?
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help!

I have a Linksys WRK54G router, which is connected to two PCs and a cable modem. Everything works fine apart from when we try to stream media through RealPlayer or Windows Media (say a sound clip from amazon). If we try this, nothing plays, and the router will lose connection to both the PCs. The only way to bring it back is to reset it. Streaming from the second PC is fine.

I've no idea what could be causing this. Can someone help?

Cheers!

K
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Oct 1, 2006, 05:07 AM
    When you say "Connected" do you mean through the wired side or wireless? Also Can you check to see what firmware version you are running and post here?

On the PC's that are connected to it, can you tell us their specs (and how they are connected)? Thanks.

Oct 1, 2006, 05:34 AM
    The firmware version of the router is 1.58.03 (pretty sure it's the latest).

The PC that seems to have the problem is connected to the router via cable. It's running XP. 512MB of RAM. 2GHZ Processor.

The other PC is on a wireless connection. It's also running XP, and has 384MB RAM. 800MHZ Processor.

Whenever PC1 tries to stream a file, almost immediately both PCs lose connection to the router. Pinging from both just times out.

I've run a virus and spyware scan on the off chance of a problem, but both were clear.

Oct 1, 2006, 06:00 AM
    Is your configuration stock on the router? i.e. have you configured one of your PCs to be a DMZ host or have you changed the gaming options on your router. Also can you look to see what your MTU is set for?

Oct 1, 2006, 07:33 AM
    Both the DMZ and the MTU settings are disabled. I haven't touched any of the gaming settings. Nothing is setup in there at all.

Oct 1, 2006, 07:38 AM
    OK... this shouldn't be a permanent fix but lets try to narrow the problem down. Change your MTU to 1492 and test. If that doesn't work then change it to 1462 and test again. Let us know what happens.

Also, does this happen on any other type of download? i.e. downloading a large file or an ISO. Also, can you give me a link of a sample download that locks up your connect? I have a similar router that I can test with.

Oct 1, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Setting the MTU to 1462 resulted in the media clip playing, but we still lost the connection immediately afterwards. 1492 didn't help.

The clip was from http://www.amazon.com/Space-Big-Star...e=UTF8&s=music

Thanks for your help with this!

Oct 1, 2006, 08:41 AM
    OK try the following MTU settings in order:

Another question... have you ever changed your network card settings perhaps to improve performance? Or ever ran a "performance improvement" software of any sort?

Oct 1, 2006, 09:21 AM
    I'll try those settings shortly.

I actually forgot to confirm earlier that other downloads work absolutely fine. I've downloaded firewall and windows updates recently without error.

Regarding the network card, I've never changed the settings or used any software that would effect performance.

Oct 6, 2006, 12:23 PM
    I tried the other settings, but no luck :-(

Oct 6, 2006, 06:02 PM
    I've done some more research on that particular model and apparently it had a lot of issues. What you're running into specifically sometimes was fixed by lowering the MTU settings. Obviously it didn't work in your case. I think you have a bum router my friend. At this point I would recommend that you dump it and replace it with a better wireless router that you buy from a store and not as part of any bundle. Apparently that particular model was bundled together with either a laptop or some other combo deal. Was that how you got it by any chance?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Face cuts , while gaining Weight [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I would like to ask how to make my face not GROW fat ? Whenever I put on weight , even if it's LI'L , I put it on my face pretty quicklly , so as I'm into weight training , I WOULD like to ask how to keep my face in the same way while gaining weight , I've heard that chewing up gum helps and...

Cub Cadet engine cuts out when PTO engaged [ 2 Answers ]

Model 2415, engine cuts out when PTO switch is engaged, OR, when simply taking it out of park and pressing on the forward pedal. Any ideas? Thanks!

Blower motor cuts out [ 2 Answers ]

The blower motor on my furnace cuts out when I turn on the AC. I have the unit set to run the fan continuously and when turning on the AC the fan quits. The motor is a direct drive to the squirrel cage. I cleaned the cage and motor and reinstalled. The motor runs but does not seem to be moving...

88 Nissan Pathfinder engine cuts out [ 6 Answers ]

My 88 pathfinder has 199,000 miles and ran great until one day the engine started loping and the rpms would drop. It gets so bad that I can't accelerate when the pedal is to the floor. I have replaced the cap and rotor, the map sensorand fuel filter. And $1000 later it still does it. Thankful for...

View more questions Search