Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoopplaya4 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 06:54 PM
    3 Way Switch (Continuity)
    Hi All,

I live in the United States and I am trying to troubleshoot a 3-way switch issue. I have two boxes and one light.

In the first box (we can call it Box A), I have no problem finding the "common" wire that comes from the circuit breaker. (I'm using my multimeter).

However, my issue is this: on Box B, I am having difficulty finding the "common" wire that is connected to the load (the light).

Using my multimeter I have bought from Radio Shack, how do I find the continuity? I know how to set it to Continuity mode, but, I am not getting a beep when I touch any of the three wires at Box B. I was under the assumption that to find the common at Box B, it would be the one that "beeps." (I am connecting one needle to the wire, and another to the ground).

Any ideas?

PS The multimeter I'm using is found here:

22-Range Pocket Digital Multimeter - RadioShack.com
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 18, 2009, 07:17 PM
    The grounds would be of no help at all in finding this continuity.

You need to test between two of the three wires from the switch (with the switch removed) and find continuity. Then flip the other switch and try again. The common wire in those two test is your common for the 3-way.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

May 18, 2009, 07:26 PM

On a 3 way switch you have 2 screws on one side and one screw on the other side. The 2 screws across from each other are for the wires that go back to the other 3way switch. The screw that does not have another screw across from it(usually a different color) shoul be your common screw that has the wire that feeds power to the light. You need to set your meter to read voltage not continuity and touch one lead to the common screw and the other lead to your ground wire. Flip switch to see if you have 120volt.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

May 19, 2009, 04:04 PM

Also keep in mind that there may not be a cable in that box that runs to the light. The wire may run back to box A where it is then connected to a cable running to the light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical circuit continuity test [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Harris Pro 2000 toner and probe that my father left me but I do not have any instructions. I need to rewire a three way circuuit in the basement and need to know which three conductor cable goes to which switch. I believe I can use the use the tone tester to indentify which line goes to...

Myth proclaiming continuity of existence in the iliad [ 16 Answers ]

I have an assignment for AP Literature where I have to use the quote: "Myth proclaims the continuity of existence and declares that a life lived only in the present is a life betrayed" And then I have to used support from the iliad to support or refute the statement. The problem is that I...

Continuity of pressure switch [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to determine if my pressure switch is bad. (Carrier Weathermaker 8000) On a good switch, should the continuity between the posts test open or closed? THanks.

Limits continuity and differenciability question [ 3 Answers ]

Q1.. Let f(x) =, where x belongs to (0,Pi), a belongs to (I),b is a prime number and denotes greatest integer function. Find the number of points at which f(x) is not differenciable?

Continuity tester that applies load [ 3 Answers ]

As we know, you can do a continuity test on automotive wiring that shows good, but due to a high resistance connection, it won't carry a load. Some months ago on one of the car shows on Speed Channel, they touted a neat tool (about $100) that can put a load on the wiring circuit to locate the...

View more questions Search