Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grandmakaren Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2003, 11:58 AM
    Windows operating systems
    I received a new Dell computer for the holidays and am not happy with the Windows XP Home operating system that came on it. I have a hard drive that has Windows 98SE and would prefer to have it on the system. What is the best procedure to follow to change the operating system on a preconfigured one. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Alibaba15 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2003, 05:35 PM
    Hi. Ill just give you my 2 scents.
    Putting a hard drive with a operating system already installed on it into a new computer with a different mother board and different cards is usually not a good idea. It probably will work in the beginning, but you will run into hardware conflicts later on. The best thing to do if you have the windows 98 cd. Is to reinstall it on your second hard drive. To do this, first connect your 2nd hard drive to your computer with Winxp on it and transfer all of your imortant data to the xp hd. Then disconnect the xp hd from your comp (leave the 98 hd connected), use fdisk or something else to format the 98 hd, (re)install 98 and all your dirvers on it. Then reconnect the xp hd and transfer all your important data to the 98 hd. ( if your comp keeps booting xp, try to select the 98 hd from the boot menue or go to the bios and make the 98 hd your 1st hd, or make it master on the jumpers and on the cable)
    I hpe this helps. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2003, 10:53 AM
    I agree with what Ali said. The drive will most probably not work because of hardware conflicts.

To install win 98 you would need reformat the drive and that means making sure you have allthe correct hardware drivers.

I am curious about what you don't like XP. Its clearly the best OS Microsoft has come out with yet.

[hr]
    Just read Fred's comments and I have to make sure the facts are presented. While its true that XP tries to make it easier for users, it doesn't take any control away from users. As for bugs in IE 6, most people recommend IE 6 as the most stable version. I've been using it since before XP without any problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple operating systems [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir; I have installed in my computer two operating systems windows98 and And windows2000 when my computer is going to boot it may open an Operating system menu which is shown to you below. Select an operating system Windows 2000 you have thirty secounds to chose 25 time Windows98

2 operating systems [ 3 Answers ]

I have windows 2000, then I installed xp and now have both os when I start up.How do I uninstall 2000? I've read some posts and am not clear on what u mean by formatting. I'm not very experience and need help. Thank you .

2 operating systems [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I installed XP pro rather than upgrading home. Now I have 2 OS on my PC. Obviously I'd like to simply be running pro and not home. I'd like to get all my settings from home to pro and get rid of home. Can I do this, or should I just uninstall pro and try and upgrade again. Thanks,...

Two Operating Systems? I Need To Get Rid Of One Of Them [ 8 Answers ]

I currently have Windows XP Pro. I had to reinstall XP because of a big problem I had. Well instead of upgrading which I should have done, I reinstalled it as a new install. When I boot up my computer, it asks me which operating system I want to run. I know I have to go into the boot ini. File but...

I have 2 operating systems? HELP! [ 1 Answers ]

I reinstalled my windows xp professional. When the computer boots, it asks me which operating system to start from? I always pick the first one because it is the reinstalled xp. How can I get rid of it asking me that questions? This happened to me before but I forget how to do it.

View more questions Search