Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YOW2PBI Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 03:48 AM
    Toilet flushes when running water in sink.
    We have a relatively new house (8 years) but an increasing problem with toilets either flushing or running more water into the tank when certain sink or tub water taps are opened.

This will occasionally occur spontaneously without any taps being opened but is more common when opening taps that are not used often.

Whether it has any impact or not the water pipes in the house are all flexible plastic rather than copper.

This is obviously not a critical issue but more of an annoyance!
    DancingPenguin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2010, 09:23 PM
    I actually can't answer your question... but I'm having the same problem myself! Anybody have a recommendation?

I've been told by a few different people that it sounds like there might be a slow leak somewhere... but everyone is currently arguing on WHERE that leak might be...
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2010, 05:15 AM

Two tests to eliminate problem with toilet.

First test

Shut off water feeding toilet.

Mark elevation of water in tank.

Check tank after about 3hrs.

If water is lower, the flapper is not sealing and has to be replaced.

2nd test

With water off drain tank.

Raise float to keep water from feeding into tank.

Mark height of water and with float still raised turn on angle valve.

If water height rises, the flowmaster/ballcock is bad and needs replacing.

Is the feed tube installed in over flow pipe?

Is the water level 1/2'' below top of over flow tube when tank is full?

Let us know if this helps. If not we can go from there.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When Neighbor flushes his toilet, mine flushes too [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a two level condo. When my neighbor who lives behind me flushes his or her toilet, my toilet on the first level flushes as well. It's not a full flush, but when I take the lid off the tank, the refill valve is open and water seems to flow from the tank into the toilet. I'm not sure why...

Why is water running? Toilet water keep running into toilet bowl [ 6 Answers ]

I changed all the I possible on toilet as toilet was running off and on. Now water keeps a constant tricke into toilet bow an flapper and float are all working. What else can it be as my water bill was terrible. HELP single grandma raising two grandkids and just got laid off and broke! ...

Cold water in shower when toilet flushes [ 6 Answers ]

While in the shower if someone flushes the toilet you get cooler water for a few seconds then it goes back to normal. My house is two years old and it did start happening until I had a second hot water tank installed for my in floor heat. I understand that what normally happens with older systems...

Hot Water only when Toilet Flushes [ 2 Answers ]

I’m in the process of having both of my upstairs (two story house) bathrooms completely remodeled i.e. gutted, new walls, floors, tub, toilet, sink, etc. Prior to remodeling, I have never had an issue in regards to an adequate amount of hot water for taking a shower. Now that one bathroom has...

View more questions Search