Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spleenless9 Posts: 47, Reputation: 4

May 17, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Tile to hardwood transition
    The kitchen, hall & bathroom (all connected) floors are linoleum and the same level as the hardwood floors in the other rooms. I want to replace the linoleum with ceramic or porcelain tile, but I don't want know what to do about the height difference that would make. Also, should I do the tile before I put in the new cabinets or after?

Thanks, Pete.
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 17, 2009, 07:40 PM
    Pete, To me, your second question is a no-brainer; cabinets first. And for your kitchen cabinets, go for the lazy susans in the corners with the double hinged doors and the massive pots and pans drawers that they make now. We even got a couple "baseboard drawers" - low height, but wide drawers in the space below the cabinets that is normally wasted. It got me 9 and 1/2 husband points!

For the transitions, there are a number of options, but I think someone else could better advise you on that.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 17, 2009, 08:08 PM

Use a wooden threshold to make the transition. Some people use the little narrow 2" wide strips but they look cheap. Use regular threshold about 5" wide. You can route or saw out a 3/8" groove on the bottom of one side to overlap the tile and still have the threshold lay flat.

Put 1/2 plywood under cabinets to make the cabinets even with the ceramic tile floor. Cut width of plywood 1/2" less than the depth of cabinets (measure from toe kick to back of cabinet), then slide edge ceramic tiles underneath cabinets for a nice finish look.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carpet to Tile transition [ 10 Answers ]

I have the tile intalled and will be installing the carpet up to it. The border will be 11 feet long and runs across part of my basement from wall to wall. I would like to just butt the carpet up to the tile and tuck it in without using threshold which would visually separate the two areas. My...

How to transition hardwood floor to carpet/tile on a slab floor [ 1 Answers ]

We installed new hardwood flooring on our slab floor, it is a floating floor. How do we transition to tile and carpet? Do we need to glue the transitions down?

Transition - From hardwood to stained concrete [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, How does the transition from hardwood to stained concrete look? Can I find any pictures of a completed project? Is it difficult to transition? Thank you

Wood and Tile Floor Transition [ 2 Answers ]

Where should the transition between wood and tile take place between the Reading Room, Guest Bathroom and Guest Bedroom in the below floorplan? Note that the tile in the Guest Bedroom and Bathroom is the same tile and that the wood flooring runs from the Master Bedroom, through the diagonal hallway...

Transition between tile & carpet [ 5 Answers ]

I'm laying tile in my bathroom where there used to be linoleum. The floor butts to carpeting and I've been told I should use a metal strip between the two surfaces. I bought the strip and have cut it to fit but my question is how do I adhere it down? It looks like I could screw it down or...

View more questions Search